wifi question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidra, Feb 21, 2014.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

I've had this happen a few times and I'm trying to figure out a quick way to deal with it. Most of the time I have no router or modem issues, but occasionally my iMac will show a connection to wireless, under network preferences it shows me connected with an IP address, but I can't access the web (or the router). From another device, when I log into the router, the iMac IP address appears as connected. Most of the time, the iMac is the only device that isn't working. This morning my phone, sitting right next to the iMac, was connected solidly. After shutting off the wifi multiple times without any fix, I tried logging off, which also didn't help. The only way to get it working was to restart. No huge deal, but I'm trying to figure out an easier way to reboot the wifi without restarting. And I'd also love to know what's going on when this happens?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Try creating a new Network Location in Network preferences and re-create the wifi link.

3. skinny*k macrumors regular

If you haven't already done so, go to the Network control panel and choose "Show AirPort status in menu bar." Then, whenever the connection drops, simply turn off AirPort from the menu, then turn it back on.

I have to do this once or twice a week, and its the easiest way to reconnect.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

[[ After shutting off the wifi multiple times without any fix, I tried logging off, which also didn't help. The only way to get it working was to restart. No huge deal, but I'm trying to figure out an easier way to reboot the wifi without restarting. ]]

Not sure if this will help, but ...

Try renewing your DHCP lease instead of rebooting. Does that help?
    (can be done in Network preference pane)