WiFi Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FatalShot, Nov 15, 2007.

1. FatalShot macrumors newbie

Hi! New poster here...but I have been reading around the forums for almost a month now. I plan in getting an iPod Touch (16gb) for Christmas. I have a question. Can I recieve WiFi for my iPod Touch through a wired router? If so, how? I'm not sure how to set it up. Will I have to download a program on my computer or what?

Sorry for the noobish questions but I've never had an iPod before and I've never used WiFi on a handheld product before.

Oh, and another question. Kinda stupid but, it had me wondering? I uploaded a CD (Speakerboxxx/The Love Below) into iTunes. It says that all the songs on this CD (and maybe it does for all CDs) are AAC/m4a files. I tried putting some of the songs from the CD(s) onto my old mp3 player (a Creative Zen Nano, 512 mb) but it wouldn't let me (I guess my Zen Nano doesn't play those type of files). Now here's where my question comes into play. Can I play these files (AAC or m4a) on an iPod Touch? I am supposing that you can because they play in iTunes, they should play on an iPod.. But I'm not exactly sure if you can (hence me asking on this forums).

:apple:

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Yes, you can play AAC files on your touch. They are actually better than MP3's at certain bitrates. Its what format all my songs are in. As for the router question. The touch uses WiFi, which is wireless, and you need a wireless router to do this broadcast the signal. As far as I know, you have to have a wireless router, because without one, there is simply no network to access.

Hope I helped.
    Feel free to ask more questions.
    I can't talk enough about my touch.
    :D

3. FatalShot thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to jailbreak without wifi?

4. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Well, your Mac should be able to broadcast a wireless signal for your Touch to use.

It's "Internet Sharing." This is what I do whenever I'm in my room, and I want to want to be IMing people via my iMac, but rather my Touch.

5. FatalShot thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a Mac. :eek: Sorry I didn't mention it earlier (lol)!

My friend has a wireless router though. Is all I have to do is be near the router and to be able to go on Safari (recieve wifi)?

6. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Yes, you only have to be in close proximity with a wireless router. From what I can remember, you do need wifi to jailbreak. You have to have a jailbroken version of 1.1.1, and then through installer, download OktoPrep...etc. Here is a link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=386663

7. Flushing macrumors newbie

finally, my iTouch works well with my Linksys rounter...it doesn't seem working very well.........um i'm not sure if it is because of my rounter.

8. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Um.
    What?
    Is it working well, or not?

9. FatalShot thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the iPod Touch come installed with firmware 1.1.1 when you buy it?

10. FatalShot thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the iPod Touch still comes intsalled with 1.1.1. or if they now come with newer firmware. My mom just bought a new one from the tech dept. at brother's college today. It is an Xmas gift though.. :(

11. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

From what Ive heard, no iPod Touches ship with the new firmware yet.

So youre most likely going to get 1.1.1