Wifi range for time capsule, airport, etc

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by avatars, Mar 1, 2008.

1. avatars macrumors newbie

I live in an old farmhouse, with hardwood floors and plaster walls. My ISP enters the house in the back left corner, on the second floor. I plan to purchase a new iMac, and want to place it in the front right corner of the house, on the first floor. The diagonal distance will be ~50 feet. I want to use wifi for the new iMac. Any advice on how effective it will be over this distance? My thought is to use an Aiport Extreme or Express at the base, and a Time Capsule halfway between the base and the iMac. Thanks.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I would think that the Time Capsule alone would be more than enough. Your mileage will of course vary, but I'd start off with a Time Capsule and see how that works, then add an Express if you need to.

3. ljones macrumors regular

I need to go pick up my car from the dealer after its oil change. I'll see how far I can be driven away before I lose the signal.

4. ljones macrumors regular

I completely forgot to check the range. But the speed is definitely noticeable. So no complaints on speed. I have my Mac pro, iPhone, and Wii connected wirelessly. My 360 is plugged via the ethernet. All works fine, I just need to do a bit of cable management and I'm set.

I'll be heading out again, I will do a check then. But no problems through walls so far within 100 ft.

5. avatars thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the info. The only non-commercial wifi exposure I have is with a linksys at a relative's house, and that faded out well within 50 feet.