WiFi reception: iPad 2 VS iPad 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aucun Express, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Do you guys remember last year when the first iPad was released? There were many complaints about poor WiFi reception with it.

Did you notice any difference with the iPad 2? For instance not being able to connect to the WiFi in a specific room with your first iPad and now you can with the new one?

2. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

Would be interested to hear this. My ipad 1 loses signal often while I'm laying in bed. If I move it towards the direction of the router by about two ft, the signal is steady. very annoying.

3. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Sometimes I connect to my neighbors wifi network when my router is off, and I get the same signal on my iPad 2 as my iPad 1. Speed seems the same too.

4. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I feel like I'm getting lower wifi reception with the iPad 2. Nothing concrete just a feeling. Like I used to have a stronger signal and faster speeds in some rooms of the house with the original iPad. I suppose it could be my imagination, but I don't think so. :confused:

5. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully I'll be able to test it in a few days!

6. freeman727 macrumors 6502

That's funny, I just picked up an iPad 1 w/ 3g and it actually has much better wi-fi reception than my iphone 4 and macbook pro.

7. bmat macrumors 6502

Me too. I feel like I was getting better wifi at home and work with my iPad 1. It concerns me because I upgraded for the faster speed when browsing and other things, which would be defeated if wifi isn't as strong. For me, it is also just a feeling, but it is based on a few days if experience now.

8. vw195 macrumors 6502

I can't really comment on the wifi reception as the ipad 2 has been fine for me. When I tether via 4G on Sprint, I can download 4.5 mbps on the ipad2, whereas I would be lucky to break 1mbps on the ipad. I think my wifi issues have been fixed.

9. JimmyTheKnife macrumors member

JimmyTheKnife

My iPad 1 got the weakest WiFi reception of any device in my house. I actually bought the latest Airport Extreme WAP in an attempt to improve it. It didn't help. :(

I've sold my iPad 1, so now my iPad 2 is the weakest WiFi device I own. I had hopes that Apple would improve this but I have to say it's about the same, and I even had one incident where WiFi reception 'hung' and I had to cycle the WiFi to correct it.

It's a shame that they create something with such impressive features only to botch the basic stuff.

10. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

For some reason my original ipad (which I sold to upgrade to the ipad 2) had awesome wifi reception. My airport extreme is all the way on my third floor bedroom and it detected. my router from all the way outside. Who knows how good or bad my wifi will be when my ipad 2 arrives. Hopefully it's as good as the first ipad for me.

Some reason though my iphone 4 has HORRIBLE wifi reception. Only detects wifi when it's close to the router. When it's far away it won't detect anything.

11. El Aurens macrumors member

I originally had a Linksys G router that my iPad had no problems with the wifi. Then I changed over to my cable providers N router for higher speed access, I had constant problems with connectivity and speed. Now I have an Apple Time Capsule that has the same wifi as the Airport Extreme, and now I have no problems with using my iPad. It also solved the problems I had with Home Sharing. My Apple TV2, iPhone 4, iPad, iMac and MB Pro are up and running with Home Sharing and Airplay.

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I feel like iPad 2 gets worse signal. I'm considering putting an extension on my network just because of iPad 2.

13. Kentiler macrumors newbie

Side by side - iPad 2 is weaker

I'm posting this sitting beside my wife's iPad 2 and she can't get the WiFi that I'm accessing.

We've seen this many times where I can get WiFi on the iPad 1 but she can't on the iPad 2 even though she's right beside me.

--Kent

14. 62tele macrumors 6502a

I have never had a problem with my iPad I wifi!

Not in my house or any public location.

15. Peafreen macrumors newbie

Peafreen

WiFi reception with iPad 1 & 2

I have both iPads and have not had any issues connecting to my wifi with either one.

16. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

my iPad keeps signal just fine. I bring it to the neighbors occasionally and I'm still on my network no problems.

17. mutchy126 macrumors regular

iPad 2 Better!

I think that the iPad 2 is better at Wi-Fi Connections than the iPad 1. :)

18. Kentiler macrumors newbie

The iPad 2 will connect to WiFi, but in cases where the WiFi is distant, the iPad 1 will connect to signals that the iPad 2 can't even see.

19. bmat macrumors 6502

I extended my network because of my iPad 2 versus my original iPad. Before I did that there were times that I was better off in my house using my 3G rather than my wifi network for surfing.

20. scottflora macrumors newbie

Absolutely side x see iPad 2 weaker wifi than ipad1

Just upgraded yesterday and was getting ready to sell my iPad 1 but in 2 rooms of my house that i regularly got great wifi reception on my iPad 1 I cannot connect at all with ipad 2 it times out I'll take photos in the next couple days and post here - super bummed about iPad 2

21. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

There is a BugerKing i go to in the area i live in and i found this out by haveing to sit a direct line of site with there WIFI unit that they use in the place and i'm not the only one who does in the place to get Wifi ..At another Buger King outside the area i live in where we had stoped for a lunch .. We did not have this problem but when you go there because of the building beeing alot older ..

You have to sit in the front two rows of he place to get good Wifi in the place and yes i have asked other people who i have seen there the same question about the place Wifi ..

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Any idea why Apple deliberately removed all the apps from the app store that showed your WiFi signal strength?

I wanted one, for obvious reasons, like people here as I wanted to move around my home and also adjusting my WiFi box so I could get the best position.

I asked if there was such a program, there were some and people gave me links.
    It was at this time than Apple removed all the apps that showed you how strong your WiFi was from the app store.

I don't understand why they would remove them :confused:

23. Roger in da UP macrumors newbie

Ipad 2 Wi-Fi Reception

Bought my wife the IPad 2 for Christmas. Sitting here typing this on my HP Laptop with good reception from my Linksys E2000. The new IPad 2 has a very weak, often dropped, signal in the same location. Very frustrating. Wife says to send it back.