Wifi reception on new Macbooks? (and a screen question)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nph, Nov 24, 2008.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

How is your wifi on your aluminum Macbook?

Also, given you don't compare your macbook with the Macbook Air does the screen look ok to you?

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I just returned a defective MBP and opted for a high-MB instead (for various reasons). The reception is about the same (if not equal), but there is a significant difference in screen quality. The MB screen appears 'washed out' or overly white, if that makes any sense.

That said, I still believe the MB screen is superior to most notebooks (I'm hesitant to say all). Like any computer, if you stare at it long enough, you won't notice a thing. It's been 2 days and I'm already forgetting how drastic the difference was/is between the MBP and the MB. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Also, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. The MBA has less features but a better screen because it's intended to be a 'premium' secondary computer.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

i get good reception, however my router cuts out once in a while...eh...

and my personal opinion about the screen is that its gorgeous...as long as you looking at it from the top or looking up at the screen...everything else in between looks amazing

4. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

What MBP did you return, "old" or the new unibody and compare to the new MB for wifi reception?

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The wi-fi strength of mine is absolutely fine. But in a review I read on the Al-MB, it's reported that the wi-fi reception with the Al bodies is not as good as the plastic one. You can probably google to find.

6. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I returned the mid-range Unibody MBP (2.53Ghz, 4G DDR3). Briefly, problems included excessive vibration, squeaking keys, loose battery cover, and wonky iSight.

In terms of the WiFi, like I said before, the difference is very minimal. If there is a difference, then the MBP is only a fraction of a second faster when connecting to wireless networks.

I don't have any experience with HP laptops (historically, I'm IBM or Asus), but I would rate the MB screen as 8/10 (considering cost and competition). Anyone who says it's spectacular clearly hasn't seen the MBP or MBA. In the end, you get what you pay for.