Wifi Reliability

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stockcerts, Mar 4, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have noticed that I am not always able to update e-mail and other services that utilize wifi, but only on some wifi connections. My wifi at home always works, but there are some places that I travel to that have wifi and when I connect my e-mail and web services act as if I don't have a wifi connection. Could this be due to signal strength?

2. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

There are some computer-to-computer networks (some that are actually dummy networks designed to lure the unknowledgeable to hack into your computer) that the touch recognizes and when you try connecting there may be a full strength (three bars) but that means jack when it is really not an actual wi-fi spot.

3. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

you can take this to the bank: wifi is not very reliable with the touch.

4. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

The home network I have set up at my house provides a solid connection most of the time and is pretty fast too. The only problem I have is that sometimes, without warning the WiFi connection will just go away, and I'll have to go into the settings to re-select the network. It will still be there and at three bars, but the Touch decides to drop it for some reason.

5. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I have this same issue. I use the wifi that's provided by my IMac. One of the posters stated that wifi on the ITouch is unreliable, I think he may be right.

6. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Having a wifi connection does not automatically give you access to the net. For example there's an open network not a million miles from where I'm sitting at the moment which will happily let me log on and allocate me an IP address. However I can't access anything outside of the local network that wifi point is connected to. The reason for this is that the router on that particular network has no link to the outside world. But still a perfectly valid wifi network.

If you want to be sure you need to be using access points designed for public use and always fire up safari after you've connected to make sure there's no login required for using the service.