Wifi "Resolving Host" issues. Dropped Wifi Every 5 minutes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrickjfuller, Aug 17, 2014.

1. patrickjfuller macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This is one I can't seem to find the solution to online.

About a month or so ago my wifi connection on my Macbook started dropping every 5-10 minutes. "Resolving Host..." comes up at the bottom left hand of the screen but that process never seems to complete. If I turn wifi on and off again it fixes the issue but only for another 5-10 minutes.

I thought this was an issue with my router but this also happens to me at work so it must be something to do with the MacBook Pro.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Cheers.

2. asriznet macrumors regular

- Are you able to try other network interface like Ethernet or USB tether?
    - Start up the computer in safe mode and see if issue persists
    - Start up into OS X Recovery, connect to a wifi network then select Get Help Online and test your internet there.

- What is the actual status of your internet when issue happens? Looks like you are describing the status bar of a browser "resolving host"

3. kfmfe04 macrumors member

"Resolving Host" is usually a DNS-related error message.

As a sanity check, point to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server by hard-coding:

System Preferences/Network/DNS/DNS Servers/+/8.8.8.8

Generally speaking, if 8.8.8.8 is unreachable from work and home, you might have some hardware issues (WIFI flaking out)...

...or one other possibility may be OSX picking the wrong "Location" (with its set of Network settings that depend on location) - I've had this issue before. If that is the case, the free utility "ControlPlane" may help by automagically switching to the right Location based on contexts that you select.