WiFi Router advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbachandouris, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I am considering upgrading my wireless router from G to N. Thing is my Linksys G router (10 years old) is still working well.

I have a Netgear N300 that I installed at Mom's (for when I am there of course), so I thought about swapping them out.

I have Roadrunner Turbo. I do not play games.

Here's what I know:
    An N router can't magically give you more speed then is physically coming into your house. The main difference I see is range and network performance (between computers on the same network) and bandwidth (allowing a better streaming video experience).

So, should I use mine until it dies, install the N300, or save up for an Airport Extreme (I say save, because iPad 3 is my next purchase, hopefully)?

Opinions needed.

2. ablashek macrumors member

Save Save Save all the way.

I made made the mistake of buying mediocre Wifi Routers with N, N+, and any other gimmick companies put on the box these days to sell you essentially the same thing. In the end of the day, I ended up going for an Airport Extreme. (Airport Express´s I used it for my 3 story house for a year or two. Its great but the Extreme has much better signal strength).

So right now I have it configured this way, Office - Extreme. Home - Extreme. Mom´s Home - Extreme.

Seriously, I could have saved a lot more money by just buying Apple from the get go.

And if your house is not so big, maybe you have an apartment. Go for an Airport Express. I use it all the time, and its great. Works great for Downloading, Some Streaming, and Surfing. Plus its cheaper.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The AEBS is no more or less reliable than pretty much any other wireless router of decent quality. The N300 is fine for casual use, and actually can have a lot more utility than an AEBS in terms of advanced features or firmware upgrades.