wifi (router + usb adapter) advice please!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by madrag, Nov 2, 2007.

1. madrag macrumors 6502

hello all,

I need some advice/confirmation for my future wifi setup.

01. the current scenario:
    I have a wired connection from my PM G5 to the modem.
    If I need to connect another mac, I have to plug it into a router (all wired).

02. my goal:
    I would like a wireless network (internet + files) (preferably all 802.11n) between my PM G5 and a PB G4 500, and in december I'll retire the PB and replace it with a MB/MBP (still to be decided).

03. my findings:
    I have been searching and found (limited to the products available in my country and budget) these two items:
    Router: D-Link DIR-635
    USB adapter: Edimax nMax Wireless 802.11n USB (EW-7718Un)

(NOTE: I'm pretty much limited to that router, because I have a credit at a store and it will expire soon, and unfortunatelly that strore only has that n-router :( )

04. why an adapter:
    because at first I plan to wire my PM G5 to the router, and use the USB adapter on the PB G4 500 to use the internet (the only "bad" thing is that it only has USB 1.1 and I'll be limited to 12Mbps...)

Then, in December, when I get a MacBook (Pro maybe), I'll replace the old PB and so the USB adapter will go onto the PM G5 (which doesn't have any wireless card) and this way I can move the modem + router to another place at my house and unclutter the computer room ;)

05. advice/confirmation:
    After searching a lot, I decided for these two items above.

Can someone tell me please if these work well with my macs, and if you would recommend an alternative setup (minding my objective please).

TIA!

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

How fast is your Internet connection? I'll bet it is slower than 12Mps. If so, the USB 1.1 will not be the limiting factor.

Still, can't you just put a wireless card in the PB?

If you wan to uncluttter a computer room I mounted a router and hub to the wall about 18 inches up from the floor behind my desk. It does not take up any space now.

3. madrag thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, my internet connection is lower than 12mb (4mb), the bad thing I was refering was to the file exchange, but that's ok...

The reason not to get the card for the PB is that I'm replacing it with a macBook in two months, and if I buy an USB adapter, I'll be able to use it on my G5 tower (if I got the card, I wouldn't be able to use it afterwards), and this way it won't be a total waste...

Thanks for the unclutter tip!

Do you reckon these two items work well with my macs?