Wifi router with parental controls?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ftaok, May 10, 2019.

1. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I'm looking to get a new router and the must have feature is the ability to easily turn the wifi on/off for individual devices. My wife is having a difficult time controlling how the kids are accessing wifi.

At the moment, we're not worried about which sites they are going on, but more that we need to be able to zap their connection when they are "taking their time finishing up".

Here's what I'm looking for.

I'm on Xfinity (250 Mbit/sec) using a modem that I own. Currently using an Apple Time Capsule, with a second Airport Extreme that extends the network (via wifi, not ethernet).

1. Ability to control access to individual devices, preferably without the need to restart the router.
    2. Ability to tie in my existing Time Capsule to continue functioning as a Time Machine drive.
    3. Prefer that the manufacturer is a trusted name that won't have security leaks and stuff like that (maybe I'm paranoid).
    4. Good range and performance.
    5. USB ports to allow connection to my inkjet (although this might not be needed if I can integrate the TimeCapsule into the network easily).

Thanks

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

You have Xfinity. Have you tried the xFi app?
    https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi

You can still use the Time Capsule. Just switch it to bridge mode and disable the built in WiFi (plug in via Ethernet). Then it will just act like a network switch and NAS. Use a different password for administration and disk access or setup users for disk access. That way they can't change settings of the Time Capsule. Couldn't say the inkjet would still work in bridge mode. You'd have to try it and find out.

3. ftaok thread starter macrumors 603

ftaok

unfortunately, the xfi app only works if you use the X1 modern/router. They charge $13/no for it. Id rather own my own equipment, but had I thought this through when I signed up, maybe I would have gone that route. To late now.

Thanks

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

In that case. Take a look at Linksys. They have an iPhone app with parental controls.
    https://www.linksys.com/us/linksys-app/

The MR8300 supports Mesh WiFi for expansion nodes and works with the Linksys app.
    https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-MR8300/

My preferred brand is TP-Link and they offer Powerline Ethernet with WiFi Access Points. Which is superior to mesh in most circumstances. But TP-Link isn't generally as user friendly. Plus I didn't see mention of manual device on/off in their parental controls.

Google has their mesh system. With parental controls as well.