Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
For a very small business office...with 3-4 computers and a few printers... what router would you get? The one I am leasing from my internet provider is crap. They even said so...not sure what that means. But anyway, indeed something better. I have always used Airports but as I understand apple is no longer developing them, so is it time to try something else?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I think you're right about Apple dropping their routers but the Airport Extreme is still available and I imagine will be supported for several years. Also, you have to admit it sure is a lot nicer looking than those multiple antennae types most make.

What you presently need depends on your office use and on what speed you're getting from your ISP.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
How large an area do you have to cover? what distance from router to the farthest device? Are lines of sight clear or are there walls in the way, if so what construction (eg concrete block, simple drywall)? How simple or complex are your security requirements (such as VPN, spam filtering, encryption)? Do you need multiple networks or is it OK to have everyone on the same local network? How much interference do you get from other wifi networks in the building? How important is mass file transfer locally? How fast is your external (WAN) link? How much local computer-to-computer / computer-to-device traffic is generated and is it steady or bursty?

Lots of questions to be answered before you can get a good answer.

If what you need is basically a home router in a home-sized area that can handle a half-dozen or so devices, with nothing especially demanding going on, you can put any decent router in there. TP-Link, Netgear, etc. For example, the TP-Link C50 is cheap, has decent if not exceptional range, and will get the job done if you don't have massive amounts of local network traffic.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Change of plans...I am thinking of getting google wifi for my house...with the three pack and then bringing my AirPort Extreme from home to the office.

My office is about 800 square feet with just a few walls. It is very simple. You can almost see anywhere in the office.

I like that google wifi will let me pause the wifi for my kids more easily than the Disney circle thing I have.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Your "change of plans" sounds like a good course of action.

Before you settle on google wifi, investigate the other providers as well.
I'm using the Linksys Velop and it's pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.