Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I have FIOS TV, Phone and Internet. I am required to use the Fios router.

Currently I am also using the AirPort Extreme in the bridged mode to provide wifi. Wifi can be difficult in our apartment, because my walls are concrete, plaster and cinderblock. The AE does a good, but not great job with this difficult construction.

Are there better routers that can work in the bridged mode (access point) that work well with my Verizon Quantum router that would provide even better wifi or should I leave well enough alone. I also have an Airport Express that is connrcted to the DAC in my Audio System. Both the Extreme and Express work together to provide Airplay audio streaming.

Can I improve wifi or should I "not break it to fix it"?

Thanks

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
I have gigabit internet and use the Netgear Orbi mesh set up and I get great speeds all over my house (I get 700+ Mb over WiFi). It uses the main router and multiple satellites placed throughout the house. Linksys has a similar set up called the Velop. Haven't tried it though.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I have gigabit internet and use the Netgear Orbi mesh set up and I get great speeds all over my house (I get 700+ Mb over WiFi). It uses the main router and multiple satellites placed throughout the house. Linksys has a similar set up called the Velop. Haven't tried it though.

UL2RA

How do you configure the Netgear Orbi to work with the Fios router? Do you also stream with AirPlay ?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Get a router to connect with your modem, in bridged mode. If it is multi-purpose, disable all but the router functions. Then place Wi-fi access points around your house, as needed, and hard wire them back to the base station (router or switch). If your router's Wi-fi serves any purpose at all, leave it enabled and join the other access points to the same network as a roaming network. Set all of your Wi-fi devices to the same network config, and you will have a nice roaming network. Engenius stand-alone access points are great, and put out a much more powerful signal than an AEBS. Get the unmanaged ones, as you can easily set them up from their web interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.