WiFi Security and my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattEcho, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MattEcho macrumors newbie

Strange issue just came up and thought I'd ask for advice. I'm staying at a hotel connected to its wifi network. For the last few days, I've been getting random Airport Setup popup windows, which I've never seen before, and so I've just closed out of the window without continuing on. Anyway, this morning, my wife calls me and tells me that my another guest in the hotel calls our room and says that he can see all our files on the network and that everything is compromised. What the heck?!

I told her to shutdown the MBP. But does anyone know what is going on?

2. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Your MBP may be set up by default to share your public documents, I dont quite know exactly what it is that he is seeing as I am not there but I know how to fix it. Go into your settings and under the "Sharing" options make sure file sharing is unchecked, if you want to, for safe measure, you could just uncheck everything, as it is all over network connections that are listed.

3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I've never thought about this. When I use my MBP at home I want to share the files, but obviously when I'm in a hotel or Starbucks or wherever I don't. Isn't there a way to tell the MBP if you're on a Home or a Public network? I don't want to have to hide everything every time I log in to a public network, but I also don't want other people to be able to access my shared files!

4. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

How about you just put the files in your folder (not public) and enable password protected sharing.

That way people will need an account on your Macbook before they can access your files.