wifi setting on iphon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haoqfu, Nov 11, 2008.

1. haoqfu macrumors regular

this is kinda a newbie question. i've been using my iphone for several months, i've turned off my wifi completely in order to get better battery performance. however i'd like to use wifi when i'm home to get faster speed.

my question is, is there any way that i can keep wifi on while stop it searching for closeby wifi signals?

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Wi-Fi doesn't really use that much battery life. Is it really that hard to turn it off and on when you need it?

3. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

i know wifi actually use less battery than 3G while browsing, it's the wifi signal searching that is a major battery hog. i remember i saw somewhere that someone mentioned i could simply turn off the signal searching while keep wifi on. that's why i'm asking...

4. icewing macrumors 6502

Under the Wi-Fi settings is a switch "Ask to Join Networks". I keep this turned off, but have wi-fi on. As soon as I pull in my driveway my phone switches automatically to my wi-fi network. My battery life seems to be pretty good, however I do work from home full time, so YMMV... :D