Wifi Settings

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RobertMidd, Mar 13, 2008.

1. RobertMidd macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the iPod touch filesystem and in which file the passwords are stored for wifi connections.

I have a wifi connection that I do not know the password for and each time I restore the firmware I lose the connection and have to get someone else who knows the password to set it up.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why are you continually restoring the firmware? You could just stick the password in your keychain if you keep needing it...

3. RobertMidd thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not know the password, so how can I stick it in a keychain. I just want to know where it is stored so I can find the password and copy it for future use.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if its just a bog standard restore and not a jailbreak restoring then when when restored and iTunes asks if you want to restore from backup or new iPod then choose to restore that will put wifi settings back on, I did this once and was expecting it to just sync music, videos, photos and bookmarks I had but nope it restored my settings for the device too.

also the router you are using should have the default password written on the unit on a sticker somewhere, if it does and it doesn't work there is a small reset button on the router if you hold this in for a few seconds it will also reset the password to the default one

5. RobertMidd thread starter macrumors newbie

Whilst I appreciate your replies, I just want an answer to my question of which file on the touch contains the wifi passwords.

If you know then just please answer the question and nothing else and if you don't know then please do not reply.

Thanks.

6. hansvon macrumors member

Wait, how have you been able to find the system folders? have you figured out how to enable flash-drive use?

7. RobertMidd thread starter macrumors newbie

Not an answer to my question but I will forgive you.

The file system can be accessed on a Jail Broken iPod touch. I use the VT-Term application that can be installed from the Installer.app.

8. Viremia macrumors regular

Why don't you ask a person who knows the password to give it to you personally? Then write it down and save it somewhere handy. If you aren't supposed to know the password then...

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ok this is starting to sound like someones trying to hack wifi and that the original poster is cocky and somewhat arrogant to people trying to offer answers

I reckon if you did find out which file it was you may need to find a way to decrypt cause I doubt the fille would be encryption free

10. RobertMidd thread starter macrumors newbie

I simply wanted an answer to a specific question and whilst you may have offered an answer, it did not answer the question I asked.

I neither thought I had nor intended to come across as arrogant/cocky. I did say I appreciated the replies and used the word 'Please' twice.

My post was not actually meant to be a specific response to yours but so that future posters did not post answers that are not relevant.

As for hacking wifi, I would not even know where to start or what in fact what you mean. I simply wanted to get the password off my iPod for a non public and hidden network that I have setup on my own iPod.

In fact on my MacBook pro, I can get this info for the wifi connections I have from the keychains and then selecting the wifi record and clicking to show the password. This though is not a feature on the iPod Touch.

Anyway that aside, I have now found the answer and this is located in a Blob column in a table in an sqlite database containing the keychains.

I did suspect the data might be encrypted and it is certaining not in plain text and I cannot decipher it.

However, I have copied the database to my MAC and will restore to 1.1.4 and see if I can get the record back into the database and onto my iPod Touch but I am not sure that will work.

11. RobertMidd thread starter macrumors newbie

12. RobertMidd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried but each time I ask then I get told pass me your ipod and I will set it up. I have no admin access to the router (do not even know where it is).

13. rvittori macrumors newbie

Arguing with other posters makes you come across as arrogant/cocky. In case you missed the point, you are arrogant/cocky. You are also obviously trying to hack into a network or you would have been able to obtain the password.

14. RobertMidd thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not going to get into any further discussion relating to peoples views that I am hacking my Own iPod.

As for being cocky/arrogant, that is all down to intention and interpretation.

As I said I never intended to come across that way but that is the way it has been interpreted. That is people's opinion and I respect that.

Apologies to anyone offended.

Can a moderator please close this thread.

15. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

your attitude stinks.

i could tell you what to do, but i do not like you, so i won't.

i hope you never figure it out.

16. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

RobertMidd

You have come across the scourge of this, and many other fora. You ask a question and everyone tries to tell what you should have done, or makes suggestions totally unrelated to the question. I don't have an answer for you; apparently no one else does either.