wifi setup with two Airport Expresses

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Hello,

I have a wifi network setup with two Airport Expresses. One is "n" and one is "b/g".

After a day or so I notice that the wifi speed degrades significantly. I'm not sure what settings to play around with. Could it be the channel? In general, is there a better channel to select?

Thanks in advace...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
That's the problem with mixing "g" and "n" devices. The network is basically dragged down to "g" speeds.

That's why the new AirPort Extreme has dual-band - to allow people to have two networks, one "g" and one "n" and get the full speed for "n" while keeping older "g" devices in the loop.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's the problem with mixing "g" and "n" devices. The network is basically dragged down to "g" speeds.

That's why the new AirPort Extreme has dual-band - to allow people to have two networks, one "g" and one "n" and get the full speed for "n" while keeping older "g" devices in the loop.
Right on. Unfortunately dual-band routers are the most expensive.

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I see, I can see that having a "b/g" AE on the network will degrade the speed, but would it also cause the speed to go down gradually?

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

set the g router to 2.4ghz and the n router to 5ghz you may get interferance between the two routers if they are both operating on the same band

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.