Wifi signal drops for no reason

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBH928, Aug 23, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,

I did mroogle this, all threads are outdated from 2006 and 2007 as far as I looked, or has a different issue

My macbook is a 2009 model running 10.6.4, using a linksys router, signal will drop for no reason. The bars are full, but nothing will connect. NO messenger, web browser, or downloading software will work, like its dead.
    This usually happens if I keep my computer on over night for huge downloads (1GB+) .
    To fix this, I just have to click on the airport icon on the top right corner of my screen, choose disconnect, wait 3 seconds, then choose reconnect and it will work again.

Its not a huge issue, but it stops my downloads in the middle of the night

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First make sure the Linksys firmware is up to date.

Next download the free application iStumbler and make sure you wireless is not on the same channel as other wireless routers your Mac sees.

If the problem is still happening maybe the settings carried over from when you had 10.5 and did the 10.6 Update.

1. Disconnect from the wireless network and turn the Airport card off in System Preferences->Network pane.

2. In the Network pane in the left hand column highlight the Airport card and hit the - button.

3. Restart.

4. Upon the restart go back into System Preferences->Network pan and in the left hand column hit the + button and re-add the Airport card.

5. Reboot so OS X can rebuild the Airport drivers.

6. Upon the reboot go back into System Preferences->Network pane and from there turn the Airport card back on and re-join your wireless network.

Let us know if this works or not, Good Luck.

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

thanx,
    I did as you said, but I can't test the process as this problems happens sometimes , will need time to check if it worked.

What I can tell is that my airport picked a wireless router it didn't see before, probably the neighbor's.

on the istumbler, i am getting a 58% signal , my wireless router is only 3-4 meters away in the same room.

I dont know if this is good or bad