WiFi signal meter keeps showing full bars

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adder7712, Mar 28, 2011.

1. adder7712, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

The WiFi reception in my room is poor so I used Ethernet. I can get only a few bars of WiFi on my phone but OS X is showing full signal reception. Is this normal for saved networks?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It always shows full bars for me, no matter where I am and how strong the connection really is.

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i assume you mean secured networks.

anyhoo, it doesn't matter if a network is secured or not (well, a network should always be secured) if there is wireless interference.

a more reliable tool to check your network would be iStumbler. use it to note the channels other networks in your area are broadcasting on. change the channel of your network as far away as possible from those.

however, there may be hidden (closed) networks around that iStumbler won't pick up. KisMac on the other hand will be able to. be aware, though, that in some countries the use of KisMac is not legal !

this post tells you how to evaluate the relationship between the signal and noise numbers the iStumbler scan provides.

4. adder7712 thread starter macrumors 68000

adder7712

What I meant with "saved networks" is that, the network my MacBook is connected to is my home network and it connects automatically to that. I am aware that my network is WPA2 secured.

And my question is that, the reception is weak in my room. Despite that, it's showing full bars. I mainly use Ethernet.

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

as has been said, the airport menu bar icon is a lousy indicator of signal strength. iStumbler would provide more accurate indications.

did you read the article on wireless interference ?