Wifi signal strength accuracy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nconnella, Aug 18, 2010.

1. nconnella macrumors regular

Does anyone know how accurate the 2010 macbook pro wifi signal strength monitor is? There are times I have full bars but my internet is really slow, or stops working all together for a few minutes. I THINK, because I'm on a different floor than the router, which would explain reduced signal. BUT my computer says I have full bars. Anyone else question the accuracy of the monitor?

2. TobiasKM macrumors newbie

Tried restarting your router? Routers are the root of all evil, as far as I am concerned.

3. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I finally moved my router upstairs today after years of it sitting in the basement. World of difference now. Better speeds and it actually covers the whole house now instead of just a couple rooms. Move the router closer to where you're doing the most interneting

4. nconnella thread starter macrumors regular

My question wasn't so much, how to fix my signal. I know why my signal is low. My concern is my computers lack of ability to detect that it's low.

5. amoda macrumors 6502a

It's always been that way for me since my first mac (1.83 CD MBP, circa 2006).
    4 laptops later, 2 OS updates later (leopard, snow leopard) and it's still the same, so don't hold your breath for a fix from Apple.