Wifi/Sleep/Caffeine

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by frag2, Jun 10, 2015.

1. frag2 macrumors member

So I used to use a Macbook circa 2008. The last update on it was Snow Leopard and I ran Caffeine on it where it would allow my screen to dim but Wifi and all other connectivity stuff would stay connected.

Now that I've jumped onto Yosemite, I've read up how to do that but it seems it isn't possible?

Caffeine app is different from last I remembered it.

Any ideas how I can set up my MBPr to put the monitor to sleep but leave wifi and BT still active and connected? It's been a while since I mucked with settings [probably 5 years?] so pardon me for my noobness.

Thanks in advance

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Why did you need Caffeine? Those are the two settings you can change in System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I use InsomniaX to disable sleep on my Macbook when I close the lid.

4. Liam555 macrumors regular

Liam555

Caffeine works perfectly for me. InsomniaX is also good though.

5. thejasonhowell macrumors regular

thejasonhowell

Because if you need to change it once or twice, clicking a button in the menu bar is a lot better than fumbling through your system preferences...

6. Naio macrumors member

Naio

7. frag2 thread starter macrumors member

I think because its been years since I tinkered with the settings menu, I have no idea what each thing does...maybe I'm getting old.

The only thing I want the computer to do is dim the screen when in "standby" without killing wifi

I'll try out your guys' suggestions. Thx

8. Naio macrumors member

Naio

If you want your display to turn off, but not put the computer to sleep, what I wrote above should do that for you.

In other words, writing "caffeinate" (without quotes) in the Terminal will do what you want.