WiFi slower on late 2013 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DigitalVT, Feb 14, 2014.

1. DigitalVT macrumors member

DigitalVT

Anybody else notice the WiFi slower on the late 2013 15" rMBP. I've noticed 50% slower download speed than 2012 15" MacBook Pro on a crappy internet connection at a venue yesterday using SpeedTest.net yesterday and then still 50% slower than old 17" MBP at home on fibre Broadband connection with latest Airport Extreme base station (tower version) using testmy.net after consultation with Apple Support engineer and after flushing DNS in terminal.

I have appointment later next week at Regent Street store, just wondering if it is a common issue, thought this machine had the latest, fasted wifi and even on latest Airport Extreme which should match the wireless spec, just doesn't seem to be great!?

2. Caulin macrumors newbie

Is your bluetooth on? Mine is really slow with bluetooth on. Apple says its a software issue they are aware of.

3. Robster3 macrumors 68000

The thread on apple has been going since 2011? I just did a test with b/tooth on 90/30, with it off 93/33. Its noticeable. Mine is a early 2013 15" MBPr.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Don't know why this seems to apply more to the "15. I have a 13" and my wifi is solid and fast. Is the a aerial in a different location? If you have AC I'd take it in....

5. Caulin macrumors newbie

i called apple about it because my computer with bluetooth on takes a solid minute to find any wifi signals. They said its most likely a software issue that should be fixed in an update of mavericks. The specific employee i talked to said that a couple people have reported this issue

6. DigitalVT thread starter macrumors member

DigitalVT

Bluetooth was on originally, but switched it off and still found the newer machine considerably slower than other machines. I will test again later this week in a more stable environment prior to taking it in to Genius Bar on Thursday.

Apples priority seems to be making these devices thinner/lighter and then the consideration for user and how they'd like the devices to work takes second place these days.

7. Caulin macrumors newbie

Did you find anything? would like to know the outcome of this.

8. kfmfe04 macrumors member

When I bought my late-2013 15" rmbp about 6 months ago, WIFI functionality was spotty, definitely flakier than my mid-2009 13" mbp.

Recently things got worse. WIFI would work fine for a few minutes, begin to slow, and then became sporadic/unusuable. Rebooting router would only fix the problem temporarily. Rebooting the rmbp was the same. I tried resetting the PRAM - didn't help. This is really bad as the rmbp is my primary work machine.

Note that during all this time, other Apple devices: iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Touch 2, and the 2009 mbp worked without issue, so I knew it wasn't my router.

After updating to 10.10.3, I haven't had a WIFI problem yet. If I do, I will repost here...

9. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

You did notice this was a Feb 2014 thread right ? :D

10. kfmfe04 macrumors member

Yes, I did - no need to start new thread for same, ongoing topic...

11. mickeydean macrumors 6502

Similar but it wasn't horrible before. Fair bit better now.

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Is this applying to 13's as well? I have a late 2013" and no issues. I'm getting 66 Mbps

13. kfmfe04 macrumors member

I have also read instances of this issue on 13"s, but YMMV.

I am on a bus now getting 130-145 Mbps. At home, I get about 95 Mbps both when I had those issues and when I didn't. FWIW, initially, when I got my machine 6 months ago, WIFI performance was already noticeably less-reliable than my 2009 13" mbp. I was even getting sporadic drops on the 2003 15" that I never had on the older machine.

With 10.10.2, the drops disappeared, but it got unbaringly slow at times. I knew it wasn't the ISP, because when I just connected to my router as admin, it took forever... ...sometimes.

10.10.3 appears to be much better, so far...