Wifi Solutions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tam.audio, Dec 25, 2009.

1. tam.audio macrumors newbie

Here's the situation:

I previously owned a G5 tower, I used a Hawking Technologies USB wifi adapter. It worked without any issues, that is, until the G5 died. I proceeded to buy a new Mac Pro back in July of this year. I decided to not add the wifi card to the new Mac Pro because I had spent $50 or so on the USB adapter a few months prior.

Now, after a while of using the USB adapter with my new Mac Pro I've noticed a few things. I cannot be downloading large files and surf the internet at the same time. It also seems to be causing kernel panics and wake from sleep issues.

I was told by the Apple sales rep that I'd be able to buy the card later if necessary, from what I can tell looking for it, he lied. So the question is, what other options are there for me? Would an Airport Express serve my needs? Is there a better USB adapter out there? Wifi is my only source for internet, being hardwired is not an option.

Thanks for all suggestions.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

You should have wifi built into the mbp already

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the OP says he has a Mac Pro, not a MBP (Mac Book Pro)... so it would be an added card on the MP...

4. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

The airport express is not an adapter, and definitely too expensive for what you need.

As for the 'lie', this is untrue. It is fairly easy to buy an adapteras they sell them on eBay. There are also many other USB adapters (I am thinking belkin) that you can get at a local BestBuy (do NOT talk to GeekSquad, btw) that will do the job just fine.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

6. tam.audio thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like the card and the USB adapter are about the same price. Any opinions on what would work best for heavy lifting (large torrent downloads and internet surfing)?

Thanks

7. tam.audio thread starter macrumors newbie

8. pockyrevolution macrumors member

How about a USB adapter with an external antenna to make sure range and interference is not a problem? This one has 802.11n too which should make file transferring zippy:
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/12/03/extends.80211n.wireless.signals/