Wifi spec on 2012 MbPro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonathanbruce, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jonathanbruce macrumors member

Hello

Could someone please tell me what wifi-n spec and connect speeds should I be getting on my MacbookPro 13" (June 2012).... I am currently only getting 144mbps on a Draft N Router, is that the max?

I thinking of changing to a Dual Band N+ 600/900 Infinity enabled Router..

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

Mine gets a maximum of 400mb/s exactly when I am right next to my AirPort Extreme (which goes up to 500mb/s)

3. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

That's good. .. It's probably best for me to get the AirPort Extreme Base Station then and switch to using the wifi on that rather than use 3rd Party routers/access points then.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

When u folks quote these numbers, please be specific whether that number is what the (1)Widget is telling you that's the speed you are connected to, or (2) [more truthful] u copy a big file, and your Utility Monitor says that's what you are getting on the average (actual).

At least with the Air, it's a dual-band N but the fine prints says you can only use one band at a time.

5. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

Hello. That's Ok, I do realize what you are saying.. I had a Netgear wifi-n draft (dgn2000) router that stated "Upto 270mbps" and i could only connect at 144mbps.

Copying across network on wifi can be painfully slow sometimes. I usually give up doing it that way and save to usb3 stick, personal preference!!

6. leman macrumors 604

The MBP is theoretically capable of 450mbps wifi connection, which is pretty much the max you can get nowadays. You do need a good dual-band router to take advantage of it though. I have a Time Capsule, and the WiFi is extremely fast (I do get 450Mbps connection on the 5Ghz channel).

I never did any proper benchmarks though, but moving big files between two MBPs (both SSD equipped) over WiFi was really quick, I could't tell that I am not using Ethernet. Of course, the wired connection will still be faster, but that would only matter if you must transport lots of data on your local network all the time (e.g. between the laptop and the NAS).

7. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

Thats good news.
    I have 2 pcs computers with ssds in.
    i7 running UltimateEdition x64, AMD FX8 running Windows7 x64, and am waiting to order a new iMac. My Dad has an i7 running Ubuntu 12 again with an ssd.
    I now have the latest AppleTV, again using gig-ethernet, not using wifi.:apple:

Your point is a very good one and i do copy and move data a lot over using gig-eth ports.

I am looking at getting the Airport Extreme Base Station now and disabling the wifi on my HomeHub3.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u do that a lot, maybe the data is being generated on the wrong machine? Or script it so they move by themselves while you are away, then u don't care how fast they need to do it.

9. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

It is at the mo, but only until the end of the month. My Windows PC receives the data files at the mo, I am sure it's this machine that's the culprit. Doing a reconfigure next month so I can take advantage of the new iMac when I get it.:D