iPhone Wifi speed are slow

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by onyx519, Dec 4, 2014.

1. onyx519 macrumors newbie

onyx519

First off, I apologize if I'm posting this and someone else has asked this before. I just can't seem to get this issue resolved. I didn't know where else to post this, but hopeful someone here will be able to help. I never really noticed a slow internet connection/download speed for my iPhone 6 Plus, currently on iOS 8.1 Jialbroken. Before, when I thought all was well, I had a 30Mbps internet speed and it would cap at around that speed, just under or at 30Mbps. The thing is that now that I've upgraded my ISP to 300Mbps, my iPhone STILL only gets up to 30Mbps. On rare occasion it goes up to around 70Mbpd and below, but never passed that. I tried WiFried, but I saw no difference, I tried resetting my network settings, but nothing's. Rebooting my iPhone didn't seem to help either. I know that 8.1.1 isn't much on an upgrade, so if I can avoid restoring my iPhone I will. I think I may have to restore though. I'm using the Speedtest app to conduct all my inter speed tests. I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's help. Thank you!

2. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Sounds like you have a router with b/g technology; 30mbps is about the cap. If you do, consider upgrading to a b/g/n router.

3. onyx519 thread starter macrumors newbie

onyx519

The thing is that when I connect my MBP though ethernet, the connection speed is over 300Mbps. When I checked my MPB, I found out that wireless card can support 802.11 a/b/g/n and my wireless router is in 802.11n mode. It's a Arris TG1672G from TWC. I was even thinking of purchasing an Apple Airport Extreme to see if that improves my wireless speeds. I know that my iPhone has an 802.11ac, so theoretically it should be able to get the full 300Mbps speed from my IPS, but it's still only maxing out at 30Mbps. Could it be the iOS firmware?

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

From doing a quick Google search of your modem/router combo, many people complain about slow WiFi, especially with the 300Mbps package.

Your best bet would be to get an 802.11ac wireless router/access point. The Asus AC68U is a great option.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

OK. Don't necessarily rush off and buy a new router just yet because it sounds like something more fundamental is going on. First of all what are you using to check your speeds?

PS I'm not necessarily going to be with you all the way. Wifi speed problems are notoriously difficult to track down. See my message history to get what I mean but my case won't help you now.

6. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

I re-read your second post, and it's a bit confusing. Are you saying you only tested your MacBook Pro when wired? Did you not run a speed test on it when on wireless? If not, try that and see what you get. It could be that you are using a channel with many other access points on that same channel, which will cause a huge performance hit, or you could be using 2.4GHz over 5GHz.

7. onyx519 thread starter macrumors newbie

onyx519

Thank you all for your help. I called a technician to come and see what he could do about it. We tried changing the frequency that the router was working through, but only managed to still get about 150Mbps through wireless. But the thing is that ONLY my MBP was capable of reaching those speeds, my wife's iPhone 5s was reaching approximately 90Mbps, which from iClarified speed test, was about correct. On the other hand, my iPhone 6 Plus was only getting to 30Mbps.

I then decided to go out and get an AirPort Extreme. When everything was set up and I tried it again with my MBP and different gaming consoles (XBox One & WiiU), it went all the way up passed 300Mbps. Approximately 320Mbps, to be more accurate. The thing is that when I do the same speed test on my iPhone 6 Plus, it still doesn't go passed 30Mbps.

I tried using WiFried from Cydia, but I didn't see any difference. In fact, the only way I was able to get better results, while WiFried was installed was to turn off cellular data. Then I was able to get about 150Mbps, but rarely. I decided to remove it because it's better, but it's only a partial fix, not a solution to the slow download speeds from my iPhone.

I've been using the Ookla Speedtest app to run my test on my iPhone and the Speedtest website to conduct it on my MBP.

8. EOB, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

EOB macrumors regular

I have twc and I am using an Asus RT-AC66U router with the cable/modem twc provides as a bridged modem. On rare occasions even with my router being used I rarely get wifi speeds over 200mbps. This is using my Mid-2014 rMBP, using AC as my wifi mode. I have been able to get close to 300mbps on wifi for the first couple of weeks I got service, but since then it has dropped to under 200mbps. Wired connection no problems I get 300mbps.

Now the funny thing is when I use a VPN and connected through wifi my speeds surpass my plans speeds of 300mbps download and become a stable 380-390mbps no matter what time of the day.

So I have no clue why my speeds change dramatically when using wifi and a VPN on my macbook. My iphone 6+ gets speeds of 30mbps download and 20mbps upload connected to my router utilizing the AC band. There is nothing wrong with my Router or the settings, even had a TWC tech compliment on how I actually set up everything correctly, from wiring to configuration of the router and modem combo they give you.

This speed test is just connected without a vpn(same router/modem settings)
    [​IMG]

These speeds are using a VPN (same router/modem settings)
    [​IMG]

I am dumbfounded by this, even called TWC about this apparently everything is fine on their end. I first thought they might be throttling me, but when I connect hardwired w/o using a VPN I get my normal 300mbps download. So I just give up with twc and use a VPN 24/7, when connected with wifi.

9. onyx519 thread starter macrumors newbie

onyx519

My issue isn't with my MBP (early 2011), but with my iPhone. It doesn't make sense that my MacBook with a 802.11n card is working better than my iPhone 6 Plus with 802.11ac capability. My MBP is not getting download speeds of above 300Mbps through WiFi, but my iPhone still caps at about 30Mbps and sometimes dips to the 10s.

10. EOB macrumors regular

Sorry forgot to add the same thing happens with my iPhone 6+ when I am connected using a vpn.

11. onyx519 thread starter macrumors newbie

onyx519

I'm almost certain it's not my router anymore, as I've gotten the AirPort Extreme and my MBP is able to reach over 300Mbps through WiFi. My iPhone is only getting up to 30Mbps, which is completely frustrating knowing that it's a newer product, but it's subpar than my 4 year old MBP. Even my iPad Air and wife's iPhone 5s is performing better.

I know that people are experiencing trouble with their iPhones since iOS 8 came out, but most are complaining about it disconnecting from their WiFi or showing full strength, but not actually being connected. Are you experiencing the same thing, even through a VPN? What firmware are you on? Jailbroken?

12. fortheus macrumors regular

Bluetooth on? Known issue with 8.1. Try upgrade to 8.1.1

13. Damolee macrumors 6502

Finding the same with my iPhone 6.

Hits 30-39MBit tops over 5Ghz. 2.4Ghz on various different channels is 25-30.

I'm on a 150MBit line.

Nexus 7, previous HTC One M8. Both top 90Mbit without a sweat.

My previous iPhone 5S would go 60-80mbit throughput in iOS 7.

iOS 8 is the culprit, I am sure of it.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

I have a fast connection and good ac router. My 5s hits 101 on speedtest; yes I know the 5s isn't ac capable, but other devices in the house are.

15. Damolee macrumors 6502

I forgot to add.

I tried a Virgin Superhub 2 (New AC edition) and an Asus RT56U and getting the same response.

I live in an area with lots of old people and there isn't many competing WIFI APs.

It's iOS 8 that is the problem. Sure of it.

16. onyx519 thread starter macrumors newbie

onyx519

I restored my iPhone today and upgraded to iOS 8.1.1. I set it up as a new iPhone just to test it out without anything being added to it. Then I downloaded the speedtest.net app and tried my luck. I was able to reach about 150Mbps, but only a couple of times. After that, it was fluxiating between 30Mbps and above. Nothing over 150Mbps though. Although I had Bluetooth on and my cellular data on, I want to try it without either one of them on and see if I get different results. I'm away from home right now, but I'll report back when I get there.

17. onyx519 thread starter macrumors newbie

onyx519

I just got home and did a few tests. Even with the cellular data off and Bluetooth off as well, it doesn't make much of a difference. The speeds are very erratic and unstable. I agree with some of you here that it may be software related, as my MBP reaches speeds of over 300Mbps. With the current network technology that the iPhone 6/Plus has, reaching 300Mbps shouldn't be a problem at all.

Attached Files: