Wifi Speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Maclver, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Maclver, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Ok, so I have the new Macbook Air and a new Time Capsule and I am currently running on Mavericks. My Wifi speeds seem slow compared to my 2011 Macbook Air on the (N) Wireless.

Here is the speed test

[​IMG]

and here is the Wifi on the Macbook

[​IMG]

Should I have an exclusive 5GHz network?
    [​IMG]

is there some setting I need to change in the Airport Utility? I don't understand why things are going slow?

2. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

My speeds are not always consistent. Try running speed tests over the next week and see if there's a difference.

3. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

Ehm not sure what a speedtest of your ISP has to do with your WiFi speeds on your air and TC. Since your Air is capable of theoretical speeds on 5Ghz (A/C) of 1750Mbit but thats your internal network. Speedtest is outside network (internet speeds) so they got nothing to do with the internal speeds. If your ISP gives you 20 or 30 mbit it will not magically increase speed when it hits your router.

Try some of the pointers i gave in this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1611309

4. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

So does it make a difference if I have a 5GHz only or just let it switch automatically?

5. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

It can make a difference. the 2.4Ghz band is very crowded nowadays, 5Ghz not everyone has a router capable of doing that yet. So if you can put it to only 5Ghz you may experience better speeds.

The only downside of 5Ghz is that it is more a vision related frequency, so with 5Ghz you may experience worse coverage than with a 2.4Ghz network. 5Ghz networks can already have a problem with only one wall between you and the router while 2.4ghz may works with 6 wall between

Also i recommend you to hook up your MBA for the first timemachine copy with the cable. That first backup is way to large to work over in a few minutes.

6. APedro macrumors newbie

The good way for u too test the new wifi speed is to transfer some weavy files for ur time capsule.

7. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

If your internet is slow, that is another story. But, it looks like you might be suffering what I'm suffering from. New Air. New 802.11ac Time Capsule / Extreme. Great connection. Limited file transfer speed. Anand and others have been researching this for a while and supposedly Apple is aware.

In essence, OS X is artificially limiting speeds.

Hopefully a software fix comes out soon.

8. siamchen macrumors newbie

siamchen

My new rMBP get the slow WIFI connection at home or work compare to other laptops

But, it behave very good in the Apple Store. Couldn't finger out what happened.

9. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

10. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Yes they do. I found this out on my last trip to NY. Didn't know what I was missing. I don't travel enough for the United Club membership but I'll tag along when I can.:D