Wifi stalling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tehsprayer, Jul 12, 2013.

  1. tehsprayer macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2013
    #1
    Hi everyone, I just recieved my macbook air yesterday and absolutely love it although there is one major issue.

    The wifi will stall

    What I mean by this is, for example, i'm on the internet looking at web pages then all of a sudden the next page I load will say "no data recieved" and my skype will sign out, my online music will stop. The wifi still says it is connected and everything will turn back on within 10-30 seconds and this will happen every 10 minutes or so. Not sure if its a problem with my router but my macbook air is saying full bars.

    Another example is i'm downloading music at 2MB/s and within seconds it will drop to 0.0kb/s then within 10-30 seconds it will stay at 0kb/s then go back up to 2MB/s.

    Any idea what the issue is or anyway to fix this situation through my router?




    TL;DR: Wifi will randomly stop and it says it is connected, everything stops, pages wont load, etc...it happens quite often and lasts for only about 20 seconds but gets annoying any help?


    Thanks!
     
  2. larry918 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2013
    #2
    Where have you been this past month? Haha, anyways, if you had clicked on any of the numerous articles that read "New MBA Wifi Issues", you would've read a description not unlike your own.

    For now, as far as I'm concerned, you have three options.

    1. Exchange for a new MBA
    2. Upgrade to Mavericks (many users are reporting the problem fixed in OSX 10.9
    3. Wait for the software fix that is currently being pushed by Apple
     
  3. tehsprayer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2013
    #3
    Thanks for your reply!

    I have read about the wifi issues with the MBA although those wifi issues specifically state that they will disconnect from the internet and must restart to be able to use the internet again.

    If this is a problem with the new MBA (my situation) how can I get my hands on the developer preview without paying that $99/year because i'm not a developer...?

    I know there are torrents for the developer previews but I see none for the latest preview (3).
     
  4. iterva, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

    iterva macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2013
    Location:
    Sweden
    #4
    Still sounds like your MBA meets the "criterias" discussed by others with regards to wifi issues/unstable wifi..There are loads of threads on these wifi issues, even at Apple´s own forums.
    In essence, these are the services (Skype, safari etc) behaving in a state that suggest no connection.
    I assume you have other computers working with no issues with internet connectivity..? ;)

    Yeah, this (i believe) is breaking forum rules. So i have no comments on this.



    I really don´t see "upgrading" to Mavericks as an viable solution,since it is still in Developer Preview...But that´s just me :eek:

    If it was my MBA that had that issue, I would see 2 options as feasible:

    1. Get the MBA replaced
    2. Wait for SW update.


    --
     
  5. tehsprayer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2013
    #5

    That's a good point, i wouldn't like an operating system with lots of bugs and not able to use as a daily driver.

    If this doesn't get fixed with mavericks or continues for a long time I will replace, it's just that I just got this laptop and don't want to take it back that next day and wait another 8 days of shipping.
     
  6. xbanzai89 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 18, 2012
    #6
    I'm having the same issue you are. Just opened mine up today and I don't want to wait on another shipment due to getting one with 8GB of ram.
     
  7. Mopar macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #7
    The other option is to return it for a full refund. Which is exactly what I did yesterday when I bought my 11" Air and brought it home to find the same wifi issue. I'll buy another one when Apple gets its act together and fixes it. Until then, I'll stick with my 2011 model.
     
  8. ylrd, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

    ylrd macrumors member

    ylrd

    Joined:
    May 25, 2013
    Location:
    Europe
    #8
    They might let you keep the defective MBA until you receive the replacement. That's what happened to me... I'll receive my replacement this wednesday but I'm still using the defective machine (I have a problem with the screen).

    Don't be like me. I kept using a defective machine for a whole week because I was afraid if I asked for a replacement they'd take the defective one and I'd have to go through the insufferable wait once again.
     

Share This Page