Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ionutb94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Hello guys, i have 4S , before ios 7 i had 6.0, when i locked my iphone after 15 minutes i think, wifi went to sleep, now on ios 7 i didn't notice that...a friend with iphone 5 said that this feature is on ios 7 too..it's smth to activate in settings? like location services, background refresh? please help me

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I noticed this as well. On ios 6 and previous, i noticed that when i woke up my phone from it being in standby for a while, You would see that wifi is not connected immediately. Then after a second it would come back to life and connect itself.

Now with ios7, it seems like no matter how long the phone is in standby mode, wifi is always connected.

I assume this drains the battery, but i have not tested it with turning off wifi completely

Last edited:

ionutb94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
I noticed this as well. On ios 6 and previous, i noticed that when i woke up my phone from it being in standby for a while, You would see that wifi is not connected immediately. The after a second it wouldnt come back to life and connect itself.

Now with ios7, it seems like no matter how long the phone is in standby mode, wifi is always connected.

I assume this drains the battery, but i have not tested it with turning off wifi completely
yeah it drains the battery...thanks for your answer!

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Have you guys verified this from your router, for example the Airport Utility's "connected clients" list? It will show wether your iPhone remains connected after it's been asleep for a while (or overnight).

In iOS 6 my 4S reconnected to WiFi so quickly that the delay could easily be masked by the slower wakeup animation in iOS 7 (when you press a button to wake your phone up it takes a while for it to react, followed by a slow fade-in animation).

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Yeh, have noticed this also. On 6.1.4 when waking up iPhone, have need to wait for some seconds to get back WiFi. With iOS7 after waking up iPhone it shows already to be connected to WiFi. I always leave WiFi turned on and didnt notice any battery drains. But for example: emails i get instantly on iOS 7 while screen is off with iOS 6 i didnt got it.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
FYI I think this would actually improve battery life. Wifi generally uses less battery than 3G or LTE, whether in standby or active use. So I think this is probably a good thing...

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Have you guys verified this from your router, for example the Airport Utility's "connected clients" list? It will show wether your iPhone remains connected after it's been asleep for a while (or overnight).

In iOS 6 my 4S reconnected to WiFi so quickly that the delay could easily be masked by the slower wakeup animation in iOS 7 (when you press a button to wake your phone up it takes a while for it to react, followed by a slow fade-in animation).

Thats actually a brilliant suggestion i didn't think of.

I just refreshed my client list in my router, and its showing that only my MBP is connected. I haven't used my iphone in hours.

------

Update: I used my phone for a few mins, and it popped back up in the client list again. Then after i locked it, a couple minutes later, disappeared from the list. So it doesnt seem to be making a connection.

But that doesn't mean its completely off or sleeping when your phone is not in use.

Regardless of signal strength, having both cellular and wifi radios on at the same time will drain the battery faster than if one or both of them was disabled. Add to that crappy signal strength and it will be even worse.

I will test this the next couple nights with wifi on and completely disabled overnight and see if there is any difference in battery drain.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
FYI I think this would actually improve battery life. Wifi generally uses less battery than 3G or LTE, whether in standby or active use. So I think this is probably a good thing...

Yes. Signal in my house is low (1-2/5) and when I moved here it took a while to set up an internet connection + wifi, so all I had was this crap signal. I'd just gotten an iPhone 5 and was really sad about the battery life. Once I got the internet and a wifi router set up, things really improved. However if you have full signal I'm not sure how it compares to wifi.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I noticed this as well. On ios 6 and previous, i noticed that when i woke up my phone from it being in standby for a while, You would see that wifi is not connected immediately. Then after a second it would come back to life and connect itself.

I don't understand. My experience is completely the opposite.
At work we have a hotspot that requires username and password but it's designed in a way that iOS cannot remmeber the login (it uses random field names). With iOS6, my phone would remain connected for most of the day and I would need to re-loging maybe once or twice a day.

Now with iOS7 my phone drops the wifi as soon as I put the phone to sleep (maybe 15 seconds later, not instantly). This causes that everytime I wake up my phone i have to re-login.

What background applications are you using????

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Wifi Sync?

In the old days (iOS 6) if wifi sync was enabled it kept the connection to the router always. If turn that off, then when phone sleeps the connection would drop. You could see this behavior looking at the router. Seems it still functions that way for me. I do have background app refresh on for a few items but auto app update and wifi sync off. If I watch the router, I can see the phone drop off a few minutes after the phone sleeps. I know in iOS 6 wifi sync caused it stay connected 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.