Wifi still disconnects randomly

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iBlazed, Apr 10, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I thought 8.3 was supposed to fix wifi. It didn't fix crap. My wifi randomly decides to switch back to LTE at random times. When I go to the wifi menu, my home network is right there on the list of available networks, and I have to manually select it to make it connect again.

Totally unrelated, but my MacBook Air on 10.10.3 also many times won't connect to wifi right away when I wake it up. These people are working on a damn car but still can't master stable wifi connectivity. The software updates are placebos and don't do anything.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've been experiencing this on my 6+ since day one and I agree, nothing has changed with 8.3
    Mine only seems to disconnect in low signal areas but it rarely reconnects itself and I have to do so manually the vast majority of the time. The network is always there for me to reconnect to.

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yep, this is identical to the way the problem manifests on my iPhone 6. Sometimes I just leave it and don't reconnect it, and eventually it'll reconnect again after a while. But if the network is there for the choosing and it easily connects to it when I choose it, apparently the areas where it disconnects aren't really that low signal and it's just too sensitive.

I think I see what Apple may have tried to do. Back on iOS 7, it used to try to hold on to wifi connection for dear life before finally switching to LTE. This had me connecting to wifi in every strip mall I passed while driving down the highway. It was extremely annoying when trying to stream music and driving. So with iOS 8, it seems that Apple may have made the wifi signal strength threshold higher so that you switch to LTE easier without disruption. Admittedly, the strip mall problem stopped since iOS 8 and my phone switches to LTE much quicker now when pulling out of my driveway. Unfortunately, it seems the threshold is now too high, because it switches to LTE when I'm in the next room from my router.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

The bolded is my experience on my 5S on 8.3. It's really annoying. What I now do, I turn Wi-Fi on and off as needed using the control panel.

6. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I do the same thing. When I am home, I disable cell data and turn on wifi. When I leave the house, I turn on cell data and disable wifi. I haven't noticed any problems with cell data or wifi. They both work as expected. :D

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

My wifi disconnects randomly a lot. It seems to occur most frequently when watching YouTube using the youtube app. It will disconnect, and since I have YouTube turned off for cell data, it will fail playback then I swipe up for control center toggle wifi on and off and back on again and it connects and it works just like normal. It did this on iOS 7 for me too...

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

often that is the result of a corrupted network settings file, which can't always be fixed by an iOS update. reset it in the settings.

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Will a reset network settings erase all my saved wifi network passwords that are in iCloud?

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

You're right.

For the last few years Apple seems to have either lost their way or no longer makes reliable Wi-Fi connectivity a priority. Every year without fail it's one of the reasons I replace my year old fully optioned 15" MacBook Pro retina. Hoping that Apple will have fixed the erratic wireless performance. Traveling as I do, Wi-Fi is mission critical. In the last year my solution is to carry my thin, light, ultra reliable ThinkPad because it's Wi-Fi never fails.

Five years and five new MBPs later and Apple still struggles both with laptops and iPhones. One tiny consolation is Apple has replaced most of the units. Yet the inconvenient lost time is dreadful. The replacements have been slightly better yet not 100% reliable.

The fact that they steadfastly refuse to build in cellular connectivity when ThinkPad and other competitive brands have had it for years may indicate a level of denial, fear, or some other road block that prevents them from offering current, modern day connectivity.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Same on my iPhone 5. It will still try to connect to my apartment wifi when I'm sitting down at the bus stop a block or more away. I have to turn it off while waiting for the bus if I want anything to load.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Likely. but that password file could be the issue.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yes, but a full restore and backup from iCloud won't.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Apple however did fix the bug where wifi lost your password. Wifi is now as fast as 7.1.2. This particular issue, if anything is a minor annoyance.

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Huh. I never had the wifi password bug. That one's new to me.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

That bug was listed in the release notes...seemed to happen only on my home router.

17. gothicgeek macrumors newbie

I haven't had these specific issues, but ever since I got the 6+ wifi has been very slow for me most of the time. Often times I have to turn wifi off and on again because a site won't load. Also I have the issue with the phone not wanting to disconnect, many times in the morning I will get in the car and be pretty far away and it still says its connected to wifi but the internet won't work. At this point I have to cycle the wifi again and it finally switches over to LTE/4G.