WiFi stopped working in 2007 Mac Mini, can I use a dongle?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by loztheguru, Mar 16, 2014.

1. loztheguru macrumors member

As per the title really, the wifi has suddenly stopped working in my C2D Mac Mini. I suspect it's my fault as I opened it up a few months ago to install a SSD and was a bit clumsy popping it back together.

Is it possible to use a dongle with Mac OS? If so any recommendations on which one? I'm currently running 10.7.5, Lion.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe you can, provided you get one that is OSX compatible. You may have just not connected the antenna back in correctly or securely when you re-assembled the Mini. Why not open it back up just to make sure everything is connected?

3. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this, yep that was my first port of call. Everything looks okay in terms of connections etc, it just doesn't work! It is 7 years old I suppose so not bad!

Any recommendations on an OSX compatible one? Lots of the cheapies on ebay state they are OS X friendly, but i'm just a bit dubious...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry, I don't. I've used an asus usb dongle on my old hackintosh but a quick review of that shows is probably not compatible to anything above 10.5

This from IOGear may work, but I have no experience. Since I linked to a bhvideo site you can ask them. They have excellent customer support and I believe if it doesn't work out you can return it.

5. And macrumors 6502

And

I've used a dongle in the past and found that the drivers were real resource hogs, but it got me online at least... I used a net gear something or other. If there is a dongle out there that uses a chipset directly supported by OSX that would be advantageous, if such a thing exists. (I know there are 3rd party PCI wireless cards supported directly by OSX as I have one, but no use to a mini of course).

6. apfelmann macrumors 6502

Or you relocate your wifi station (or buy a second one)

And then use Ethernet

7. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

How about an ethernet over power line adapter?