WiFi Store Update for iPhone Speculation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sanford, Sep 17, 2007.

?

When will the iPhone WiFi Store Update Be Released?

1. Today, probably after close-of-business UK time.

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Tomorrow, sometime after the UK press event.

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. At an indeterminate date by the end of this month.

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. sanford macrumors 65816

To kick the week off right -- that is, in the state of total confusion we were last Friday afternoon -- when do you think the iPhone WiFi Store update will arrive, including the WiFi Store and anything else they might throw in there?

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I think it will be 3:32 AM EST, Thursday, September 27th, 2007.

3. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Being a natural cynic, I'd go with that, except the 8GB iPhone model numbers picked up an LL end of last week, which I doubt indicates any kind of even minor hardware revision for that model, but easily could indicate they are shipping with the new firmware, as all previous model shave shipped with 1.0 firmware. All those photos listing firmware 1.1.1 are probably not of an internally updated iPhone but just of a brand new iPhone fresh out of the box. And people who ordered them for fast shipment end of last week will probably get them some time today. Assuming I'm right they went with the new firmware on currently shipping phones, I'd expect Apple will want the update available en masse today. They don't need any more complaining about early adopters being tossed over. I think the update was probably ready Friday, but it would have been a little haphazard to release the update right before the weekend with support closed. Apple sometimes used to rush various updates for different products out on Friday evenings, and after dealing with a few fairly widespread bricking incidents with customers who couldn't reach support until Monday morning, they quit doing that. I don't think it hurt to let the WiFi Store run a couple days with the relatively limited number of iPod touches hitting it, either.

4. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

you know what i heard?(but i dont believe it though)
    I went to our Apple store to buy another pack of screen protectors for my iPhone(cuz i messed up the other ones) and the genius that put on my protectors said that the update is already out and we just have to re-download iTunes and sync...
    Ya some genius he was..:rolleyes:

5. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

There is an iPod Classic update 1.0.1 out today. Maybe he was confused. But, okay, I'll bite... Give me a few minutes...

UPDATE: Well, that was four minutes of my life I'll never get back. No go. No update.

UPDATED UPDATE: You know let's say this thing is set to roll first thing today. It's still only 7:15 in the morning at Apple headquarters and things like updates do seem to happen during the normal business day Pacific Time, even though they have customers all over the world and phone support has extended hours. So you're looking for at least another hour before the guy who flips the switch is definitely there to flip the switch.

6. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Hold your britches. iTunes is now taking a long time, maybe 20 seconds, to get a report back that I'm current from the iPhone software update server. Could be everyone hitting the servers to see if the update is out, but everyone was doing that Friday, too, and I got instant responses. Could be multiple iPhone update servers are offline prepping the update so the existing traffic is causing delays. Could be absolutely nuthin'.

Sick of waiting, though. At flagship rates I'd like to get flagship features within a couple days of iPod owners getting the same features. I know, I know, we stand to get more than just the WiFi Store, but still.