WiFi Surveillence Camera (iPhone compatible)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nfrs2000, May 21, 2012.

1. nfrs2000, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

nfrs2000 macrumors member

nfrs2000

I am in the market for a iPhone compatible Wifi surveillence camera and was hoping some people could share their setups and experiences.

Things I was looking for in a camera:

1. Wireless
    2. DVR capability without monthly service charge
    3. iPhone app compatable

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Having a camera and having a DVR are two different things. There are tons of wifi cameras out there. Many can be accessable via the internet. Some have separate apps, some just via a browser. Any smart phone could get there.

As to a DVR - that is another piece of equipment.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Synology NAS's have a IP security camera DVR functionality. They also have a large list of compatible cameras on their site.

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

5. nfrs2000 thread starter macrumors member

nfrs2000

Yea this may get expensive. I was wondering if i should just try to get a setup that has a SD card? Kinda worried about how that will work and the amont of video it will hold. I really would only need about 24hrs at a time

6. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

If you want to go cheap, you could try a simple webcam connected to a PC and use the open source program iSpy on the PC. The PC will act like a DVR and also broadcast the video to your iPhone (either over your wifi network or over the web).

7. nfrs2000 thread starter macrumors member

nfrs2000

I wonder if they make webcams with good resolution? I will have to look into that also. Tnx

8. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

These types of systems are expensive and justifiably so. There are a number of variables that go into a video surveilance system.

Note that most of the wireless cameras are not discrete.... Depending on the state you may have to post signage if you are recording audio and intend on using it...

This is a system with wireless cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-Channel...s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337622997&sr=1-128

9. nfrs2000 thread starter macrumors member

nfrs2000

10. rgctx macrumors regular

DLink 930L

1. Yes
    2. You can run off a old computer using your harddrive
    3. yes Free app

11. sandman42, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Have a look at the Izon Remote Room Monitor. It's a standalone wi-fi device that connects to your network (it doesn't need to be connected to a computer), and you can access it remotely with an iOS app. It can record video (based on motion/sound detection settings, or at your command via the app) and publish it as a "private" YouTube video. Sends push notifications to your iPhone when triggered.

Video quality is decent. Mostly it works as advertised for me. Occasionally misses what should be "triggering" events for capturing/recording, but not very often. Seems to generally only record an additional 15 seconds after the trigger goes away, which doesn't seem to be configurable. I set it up to keep an eye on my front walk, but end up with lots of 15 second videos because of incidental triggers (animals, wind, etc).

The cool thing is that the video is stored remotely (YouTube). If someone breaks into your house and steals your computer, the video doesn't go with it.

12. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I've seen it. It's pretty cool, but the resolution suffers to get 30 fps (real time video). The highest resolution is around 640x480 but only runs at 10 fps.

I'd go with a system with wired cameras and a DVR that is wireless capable (accessable on your wireless network). It would be cheaper and the video quality would be way better.