Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
I am very disappointed with my new MBP (2.2 i7 standard).
I get really bad WIFI, not the signal, it's a random disconnect or not data sent or received. For example I play wow, and it's very annoying because you get big lag spikes (1 min maybe) with out sending any info (checked a.monitor/network pane) and the data transmission just hit zero for a min.
I know is a known issue with all the 2011 models, but here I am sitting for a fix.
50 pages thread (https://discussions.apple.com/message/16062385#16062385)

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I am very disappointed with my new MBP (2.2 i7 standard).
I get really bad WIFI, not the signal, it's a random disconnect or not data sent or received. For example I play wow, and it's very annoying because you get big lag spikes (1 min maybe) with out sending any info (checked a.monitor/network pane) and the data transmission just hit zero for a min.
I know is a known issue with all the 2011 models, but here I am sitting for a fix.
50 pages thread (https://discussions.apple.com/message/16062385#16062385)

So... the point of creating this thread is what? If you're on Lion and you have the bug, then you obviously have the bug and Apple is working on it.

If you can, go back to SL and you won't have this problem; I have the 13 inch 2011 and I can pick up and have great speeds on my notebook with a connection my friend cannot even connect to with his 2010.

The Wifi cards are better in the 2011 models.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Got a link to confirm this?

Uh; nope. Aside from actual observational knowledge and reading it multiple times on the forum and, uh, observational knowledge, I have no links.

It is common knoledge though... well, depending on who you're talking to and their familiarity with the machine.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Do you really think Apple would downgrade the Wi-Fi card?

They downgraded the graphics card.

But his skepticism is how more people should think; look for proof when somebody offers something, not simply agree with it.

This idea of assumption is something that too many people do too often and you can obviously see where it has gotten us and them.

Better to question something that seems like it's a given than to get in the habit of just accepting and assuming.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
They downgraded the graphics card.

But his skepticism is how more people should think; look for proof when somebody offers something, not simply agree with it.

This idea of assumption is something that too many people do too often and you can obviously see where it has gotten us and them.

Better to question something that seems like it's a given than to get in the habit of just accepting and assuming.

They didn't downgrade the graphics card, but they didn't upgrade it either.
The HD 3000 is on par with the 320M, this has been discussed to death.
The only performance difference (which is minimal) you see is during hardcore gaming, which if one's going to do, one should have (and would have) gone with a 15" in the first place.

Apple had to compromise due to LEGAL issues between Nvidia and Intel. Apple was FORCED to choose the HD 3000. If you had two configurations: Meh graphics and a fail C2D processor, and meh graphics and SB processor, which would you choose?

Good God, at least KNOW what you're talking about before you state something as fact (sound familiar?).

Last edited:

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
They didn't downgrade the graphics card, but they didn't upgrade it either.
The HD 3000 is on par with the 320M, this has been discussed to death.
Please, know what you're talking about before posting (sound familiar?).

:) No but in all seriousness, it isn't as good. It "might" be slightly on par, but that is dependent on the scenario in which it is used.

Going back on personal observation again, my 2011 lags when playing Braid while my friend's 2010 played it perfectly; I had to resort to bootcamp to properly play the game.

I mean, say what you want, but it is not better. I would say the increase in heat and par/sub par performance fall under downgrade.

It might be discussed to death, but how many of those people have done real life, side by side comparisons? I have. Have you? It's one thing to state benchmarks, it's another to actually make observations and draw conclusions.

Especially when you compare the 2010 MBA and the 2011 MBA.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
:) No but in all seriousness, it isn't as good. It "might" be slightly on par, but that is dependent on the scenario in which it is used.

Going back on personal observation again, my 2011 lags when playing Braid while my friend's 2010 played it perfectly; I had to resort to bootcamp to properly play the game.

I mean, say what you want, but it is not better. I would say the increase in heat and par/sub par performance fall under downgrade.

It might be discussed to death, but how many of those people have done real life, side by side comparisons? I have. Have you? It's one thing to state benchmarks, it's another to actually make observations and draw conclusions.

Especially when you compare the 2010 MBA and the 2011 MBA.

I JUST said they did not upgrade. Just because they did not downgrade does not mean they automatically upgrade.
And yes, I have done countless comparisons between these IGPs.
The MBA uses a ULV version of both the graphics and processor; drawing conclusions from that is not reliable.

Just because ONE personal experience showed a difference does not mean ALL experiences will show the HD 3000 lagging behind the 320M. I tested four 2010 13" against a 2011 13" and my 2011 15". The performance is the same for all of them.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Re-read that sentence and tell me that you didn't scrape that up off of the bottom of your shoe.

But we're derailing a resolved topic here. Let's stop before it gets any worse.

So what you're implying is that the ULV version of a processor will have the same performance as the normal voltage version?
Are you serious?

@OP, which version of OS X are you running? Lion 10.7.0 is notorious for Wi-Fi issues, so make sure you update it to the latest version.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
So what you're implying is that the ULV version of a processor will have the same performance as the normal voltage version?
Are you serious?

@OP, which version of OS X are you running? Lion 10.7.0 is notorious for Wi-Fi issues, so make sure you update it to the latest version.

Of course not you silly goose, that would be ignorant. I love how you assumed that I implied that though; pot calling the kettle black?

calviin

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I'm on a 17" 2011 MBP and I've also noticed this. Of course, when I go into the Apple store, it doesn't happen. I know it's not my home since It happens at school too. I'm on SL too so I don't know what the problem is.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Router Problem?

Perhaps it has something to do with the wireless router being used...

I have a brand new 13" MBP and it noticeably faster and gets a better signal than my 2008 pre-unibody 15" MBP.

I use an Apple AEBS. It's an older "flying saucer" model that is not "n" capable. I also use an Airport Express connected to my home audio system that extends the range of the base station.

I have used other brands of wireless routers and the Apple base stations simply work, while the Linksys routers were always problematic. I have read user reports on other brands of routers that work fine with Macs, D-Link being one of them if memory serves me...

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
I have the 2011 13" MBP and noticed that a coworker's 2008 macbook got better wifi reception in an area at work than my 2011 MBP (my computer couldn't even pickup the signal)

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
1st this is a WIFI topic, no GFX.
Second, you can get this problem surfing the net, It sill just stop sending a receiving info from your router for some minutes, an then It will go away.
It appears that with apple routers it doesnt happend, but with cheap Dlink (everywhere) It happends a lot, making impossible to play a online game.
I really like the machine, is super fast, the battery is pretty good with click2flash, maybe 8GB standard would be better, but the WIFI is annoying.
My old 2008 MBP didnt had this problems, and yes, the issue is everywhere in Apple forums.

PD: I am a 12 years mac user, with a Masters in Engeneering, not a troll.

----------

Very likely a bug. Reports of this are everywhere.

Have you tried changing WiFi channels or Security type?

Since February, CMON! SOLVE IT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.