Wifi symbol should be next to 3G/E symbol, not replace it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, Jul 15, 2010.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

I think that the Wifi symbol, when present, should be right next to the 3G/E and not replace it. Most of the time I'm on 3G because of Sweden's excellent coverage however I'd still like to see whether I'm on 3G or EDGE when connected to a Wifi network.

Y'all agree?

[​IMG]
    PS. I snagged the image from my friend Google.

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Edge and 3G is only for data, so you wouldn't need it anyway, right?

The bars should show your phone signal strength. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your Q though. :)

And I love that you're from Sweden and say y'all!!!

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The symbol refers to the data connection that the phone is using.

If your phone hasn't attached to the data network, then the symbol wont be there.

It shouldn't be used to tell if you are using a 2G or 3G network. There will be situations where you can use the network (2G or 3G) for phone calls and text messaging - but not data.

4. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

I'm a little confused as to why it matters, is there a discernible difference in voice quality between the two networks? I was under the impression that there was not. I actually wouldn't mind being able to set up my phone up so that it drops into Edge for voice when I am on Wi-Fi, that would probably lead to better battery life.

5. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Supposedly 3G offers better call clarity but I've honestly never really noticed a difference.

6. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

This is false. For EDGE you are correct b/c it just means you have a data connection and the voice calls will still go over normal GSM. When you're on 3G you're calls go over the 3G (HSPA) network and not the GSM network.

7. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

Your phone is either connected over 3G or 2g, which ever it is, it is transmitting both voice AND data (which I guess are both technically "data").

So your phone is always "attached" to a data network (unless your out of range) whether your on Wi-Fi or not.

8. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well isn't it true that 3G improves not only data but also voice?

And as for the y'all, internet-me is a very international guy, he almost never uses Swedish expressions. Today, he felt like being a Texas guy...or a rapper depending on how you pronounce it. Or maybe a Texas rapper!
    :cool:

9. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Looks like some other posters said that it does improve voice.

I say y'all... Maybe I need to borrow a Swedish expression for a little while...

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not quite correct.

The network provides a data service (which is essentially GPRS - even when you're actually using EDGE or a 3G network).

It is up to your phone whether or not it attaches itself to that GPRS service.

If you toggle "Cellular Data" to "Off" in the Settings App, you'll notice that the iPhone does not indicate what type of network it is connected to in the title bar.

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I might be wrong, but I always assumed when Wi-Fi was on, it disabled cellular data completely

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I thought so too. Hmm