Wifi sync does work on iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by FirePak, May 16, 2010.

1. FirePak macrumors regular

All you have to do is buy it on cydia with a officially supported device. I used my iPhone 2g then install it on the iPad. Cydia works the same way as iTunes with universal style apps. It works perfectly.

2. itskristian macrumors newbie

So once you buy it you can just re-download it on the iPad or do you have to move the application? (never bought from Cydia)

3. FirePak thread starter macrumors regular

Just use the same login info on both devices and it will let you install just like iTunes.

4. rutiger macrumors regular

i went another way with this and am now testing it on both my iphone and ipad. trying to decide whether it works well enough to use it full time.

5. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

6. itskristian macrumors newbie

I managed to get this to work on the iPad. You can purchase it on the iPhone and then attempt to rebuy it and get it on the iPad.

It works...ish. It's painfully slow. Tried syncing Toy Story 2 (the app) from my iTunes and I ended up having to sit there for about 10 minutes. So use this for contacts, calendars, etc. But for media, I'd say shy away for now.

Obviously it is wi-fi so it's expected to be a bit slower than a tethered solution.

7. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

My next wired sync failed with a weird error, so I uninstalled the whole thing. More of a novelty than a real utility at this stage.

9. d00m42 macrumors regular

d00m42

Yeah, I figured it would be very slow. When the next standard of wireless comes out (WiGig I believe), it will be useful for exactly this - syncing devices wirelessly. Because it will have an incredibly fast speed (but with a shorter range), it will be ideal for replacing cables. Right now, I use Google Sync on my iPhone, and push mail, contacts, and calendars all work 100% perfectly. I don't use any Microsoft Exchange accounts, so the fact that the iPhone can only handle one Exchange account is fine for me.

10. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Dang, I wonder what the guy did to get the enormous plug on Engadget today.

11. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Help?

Hey everyone, I bought this on my iPhone but can't figure out how to get it on my iPad. If i go into cydia on iPad it says it is only available for iPhone. I know I'm probably missing something obvious so please point out what it is. Thanks!

12. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Really easy. You just have to make sure your iPad is linked to the same account as your iPhone. To do this, I simply tried to buy another app that actually is supported by the iPad. And then you can link your account. After this you can go back to the wifi sync and it will give you the option to reinstall.