Wifi Sync for Podcasts in IOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rwsjr, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Rwsjr macrumors newbie

Does iOS5 support wifi/wireless sync for podcasts?

2. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I'm extremely interested in this as well. As a heavy consumer of podcasts it is an aggravation keeping podcast downloads and play positions synced across my devices.

3. Rwsjr thread starter macrumors newbie

Totally agree. Wifi sync would have little value for me if podcasts were not included. Information on this issue is vague at best with all that I have read thus far.

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Guys, trust me, stop doing Podcasts through iTunes altogether.

Check out the "Podcaster" app. It downloads or streams directly to your phone, downloads in the background, etc. It is SOOOOO much better than the iTunes solutions.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but this is my absolute "must have" app. It's amazing.

5. Rwsjr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you--appreciate the tip but that solution has not been ideal for me. Doesn't work will with my vehicle's iPhone connection and I spend most of my day in a urban area with no wifi and a somewhat overtaxed 3G cell in an office building.

6. Krandor macrumors 6502

I would think it would, but since wifi sync is disabled in beta 1 we'll have to wait a bit to find out.

7. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I see. Have you tried Podcaster recently, though? They have made a lot of improvements to it, and I know it is recognized as an audio app by the iPhone more than it used to be. It might be worth a try, especially if you already bought it previously.

In any case, some of the iCloud syncing may not work right away, and some of it may depend on Lion as well, so even if some of these features aren't showing up right now, that doesn't mean they won't later.

8. vegetabless macrumors newbie

will check it out thnx man

9. Rwsjr thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and tried Podcaster--impressive features but unfortunately, it would not play though my vehicle's iPhone dock. However, I downloaded Downcast and it works very well with over the air sync AND ini the vehicle. Plus, my vehicle tends to lose my place in podcasts when I take it out of the car and put it back in. Downcast remembers the location and also doubles as an iPad app. Downcast will work but still hope for a native solution.