WIFI sync working when NOT plugged into a power source?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Just noticed that I can do a wifi sync to iTunes when the iPhone is NOT tethered to a power source (Beta6). I was under the impression you should only be able to do a wifi sync when the iPhone is connected to a power outlet?

Also my iTunes appears to randomly open by itself (Windows 7) and then after a few seconds displays my iPhone 4 at which point I am able to sync or eject the phone as if it were connected via the USB cable!

Is this the way its supposed to operate? Im confused :confused:

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nope. You were just under the wrong impression. That's all.

3. shandyman, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011

shandyman Suspended

You were under the wrong impression. the whole Wifi Syncing whilst plugged into a power source is for automatic syncing.

You can, and always have been (since beta 2 at least) been able to MANUALLY sync to iTunes via wifi without being plugged into a power source.

4. Sir Ruben, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011

Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

I have only been using ios5 since last night and I'm just a little rusty on some of the new features that's all. Thanks for explaining anyway.

5. shandyman Suspended

yes, but everything that's spoken about wifi sync has only ever said you have to be connected to power to automatically sync. It's never been said that you cannot sync via wifi without a power source, so i don't get how you got the impression otherwise..... that's the point i'm tryin to make

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

not to be rude or anything, but with the information you provided, most would assume you cannot sync wireless without it being plugged into a charger. its the reason why so many dont know its possible to do so.

7. shandyman Suspended

all apple said about wifi syncing needing a cable was for automatic wifi syncing, i don't get how people can interpret that as "you cannot sync via wifi at all without being plugged into power". it only said AUTOMATIC syncing requires being plugged in.

Plus add to the fact that a simple search on here would show this topic has been discussed a couple of times already.....

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i understand that a simple search would have brought the OP results. i am not confused not he wifi sync issue. but you didn't need to call anyone stupid. your previous post itself makes it seem like its only available when charging. Apple should have been more clear on the issue. If 30 out of 100 people don't get something, there must be some logic to it other than they are idiots.

9. shandyman Suspended

maybe the stupid comment was too far, i was going back to alter it, but mod beat me to it. how i put it is not the point, how apple does, they only say that automatic wifi syncing needs to be plugged in to power. i've got friends that aren't technologically minded and they got it ok when they asked me about it.

10. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Its not that I cant grasp the concept, ive been an IT technician for 10 years. Its was more that I wasnt clear on the facts, and the reason being that even though Ive been anticipating IOS5 I have only ever skimmed over its main features and not read into them in any great detail.

As for doing a search, yes I could have found my answer that way be seeing as IOS5 is a pretty hot current topic I dont see the harm in just asking. In fairness to me at least my topic is relevant to these forums compared to some of the pointless topics regularly posted on here.

Anyway regardless of Shandyman's tone he at least follows it up with the information asked for which is more than can be said for many of the replies that people post on MacRumors.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Mine did this constantly in beta-4 (also Windows 7) but it stopped in beta-5 and it hasn't done it yet in beta-6.

12. shandyman Suspended

mine did it as well, i assumed it was just down to itunes doing it's loading up when a device is connected thing and since devices are on wifi, i thought that was why. it did it for me in beta 5 too, i just gave up closing it lol.