Wifi Syncing in iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Avatarshark, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Avatarshark macrumors regular

I was wondering if Apple update wifi syncing to allow for certain networks only. I want to turn on my wifi sync so I can sync my increasing itunes library (I don't have match so I don't download every new song I add to my library), but I am also on other networks and I don't want them to see my iPod especially if there are more than 1000 people on the same network, and more than probably quite a few would have Mac, and therefore erase or steal my data off my iPod without me noticing.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

- People cannot "steal" songs off of your iPod just because it's connected to a WiFi network
    - If you can see other iTunes shared libraries in your iTunes sidebar, that's fine; it means others have decided to enable sharing
    - If you DON'T want others seeing your shared library, that's fine too; either turn it off or password protect it.
    - iTunes does not allow the sharing of files AT ALL unless you strictly give them a file protocol (AFP/SMB) access to the library (which you wouldn't have)

3. Avatarshark thread starter macrumors regular

It isn't my shared library. I don't want people to see my iPod. I notice if I have iTunes opened on my Windows, and I have iPod on wifi sync I can see it on my Windows machine and I only sync on my Mac.

Ok, let me put a scenario.

I set my iPod to wifi sync, sync my content at home.

I get to school and turn on my iPod's wifi. Will other people who have iTunes open can see my iPod in their devices section of iTunes. If so, can they access the data on the iPod as if was a connect drive to the network.

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wifi sync has nothing to do with whether other people can see your iPod. It means if your iTunes and device are on the same network, you can sync it.
    If you're on your a shared network, you can't "hide" your device. If setup correctly, whoever owns the network can log into the router and see who's connected. If set up badly, the possibility of hacking is there, but that's with any device. A device that is not jail broken is pretty secure though.
    The only way they could see your shared music is if they are logged in with your Apple ID on their device.

5. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Your iPhone will only show up on the computer you've synced with.

6. shotts56 macrumors 6502

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Brilliant. Comedy gold.

7. RxMac macrumors 6502

this

8. Music8Guyz macrumors newbie

To even further hash it out, it only appears on computers which you have physically plugged into and then enabled wifi syncing for