Wifi tethering between iPhone 6 and iPad Air

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mikethebigo, Oct 3, 2014.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to know if anyone can get their iPad to tether to their iPhone using the new continuity feature (where the iPad connects to the phone via Bluetooth and remotely turns on tethering).

I can get it to work if I turn off Bluetooth and use the "old way" of connecting. I've tried restoring, using the 8.1 beta, resetting things and just can't get this service to work. It'd be helpful to know if it works for others.

2. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

It definitely works for me with my iPad mini retina and my iPhone 6

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

All this nonsense with tethering was the major reason why I cancelled service on my iPhone and bought a hotspot.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Works perfect for me both ways (the iPad using my iPhone's data connection and my iPhone using my iPad's data connection). Just have bluetooth connected on both devices and you should see the desired device when you look at the Wifi menu of available hotspots. I'm on 8.0.2 though not the beta 8.1

6. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

I was fortunately able to fix it this afternoon.

After resetting network settings on both devices I noticed that the iPad continued to see the wrong name for the iPhone (it hadn't been connected to the internet yet and still saw my iPhone's old unique name instead of the generic "iPhone" that it gets named after a reset).

I got the iPad online and it still was showing the incorrect name for the phone. So I logged out of iCloud and back into it on both devices. Somehow this was the magic fix and seemed to reconfigure my settings and allow the handoff to work. Since relogging into iCloud on both devices, the hotspot is working perfectly!

I just hope it's not a specific issue with my account... Would hate to have to make a new one.