WiFi Tethering?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RossMc, Oct 14, 2010.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Is this possible on the iPhone. I know you can pay your service provider to tether your 3G connection but is there anyway to tether the Wifi connection for free?

I want this because I am studying Forensic Computing in University and for our Digital Investigations lecture we have all been given a computer which we installed Linux on because of this we can't connect to the University network as the computer wouldn't pass the security requirements the University network requires before a computer can connect to its network. Plus the University won't let us connect anyway because of the Forensic Tools we are installing and going to be using on the computer.

I have my iPhone connected to the University network via Wifi so was just wanting to do this if there is a way so I can connect to the internet on the linux computer in the labs.

My iPhone isn't jailbroken but I will do it if needed to get this to work.

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If you jailbreak you can download mywi and use the iPhone as a wifi router. The app isn't free but you don't pay anything to AT&T.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can also patch the commcenter if jailbroken and get wifi.

4. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

I am not really sure if the computers have a wireless card need to check on that.

Is there anyway to do it through the iPhone USB cable?

5. Syk macrumors 6502a

Got a link on how to do that? I already bought MyWi4 for 9.99 but never hurts to have a backup plan.

I remember reading about patching the comm center for tethering but didn't know you could do it so that it would create a hotspot

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

? Is there a walkthrough on that?