Wifi Tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geoffreak, Jun 18, 2009.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Will it be possible to tether the phone's WiFi connection? This would be very useful in connecting a laptop to AT&T's free WiFi connection for iPhone offered in most Starbucks and other places.

2. macfan881 macrumors 68020

3. pauliphone macrumors regular

4. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Yes you can tether wifi. I have tethered my iPhone to my Hackintosh and it will pass through the connection to the netbook

so maybe it will work at a MacDonalds by passing through the (free in uk to iphone users) wifi - I need to try this.

5. dabigone macrumors regular

Exactly...why would u need to tether your iphone when you laptop will just use the same connection unless you have no wifi card I guess... :confused:

6. tiguk macrumors 6502

You do know that McDonalds Wifi is free in the UK to everyone, don't you? It's not an iPhone thing. McDonalds subsidise The Cloud. So, you can wifi direct from your laptop.

iPhone does get The Cloud and BTOpenzone everywhere though....

7. aluren macrumors 65816

because wifi is free on the iphone at starbucks (like the OP mentioned), but not for your laptop.

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Have you tested this using a bandwidth speed measure website. I tried this and it kept the speed down to 3G speeds, also, the 3G data counter in preferences->usage counted up. That only happens for 3G data usage, not wifi.

I don't think this works. I also tried turning on airplane mode then using wifi on the phone to tether, no dice, wont do anything until i turn airplane mode off.

9. pauliphone macrumors regular

As per Apple site and the o2 website you cannot tether wifi, you can be connected to your wifi but the data is coming from the 3g network.

Attached Files:

10. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

oops! my bad