WiFi - the cloud to Bt openzone - NOPE!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mistere, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mistere macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2006
    Has anyone out there managed to connect to their BT Openzone account through a 'cloud' provider?

I can get my touch to connect successfully to:-

My home WiFi
    My BT Fon enabled home hub
    BT Openzone run zones (i.e. cafe Nero)
    Independent WiFi zones (Costa Coffee)

I've tried 3 separate Cloud networks (McDonalds, 2 pubs), each time I can get as far as the Cloud roaming 'launch page', then when I select 'Account with another service provider' I'm taken to a page where you select your provider, in my case BT Openzone (I have bundled unlimited minutes with my home hub) .... Safari then attempts to goto www.btopenzone.com:8443/wpb .... after thinking about this for a while Safari gives up with the error message 'too many redirects occured'! .... rubbish! I've tried changing DNS settings to that of openzone directly, but no joy.
    Is this a Cloud, Openzone or Safari issue?
  2. iRondo macrumors member

Jul 2, 2008
    If you're at MacDonalds, you can use their hotspot for free - just select the free option.
    Other than that I can't really answer your question. I signed up for The Cloud's iPod Touch plan and could not connect anywhere.
  3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

Aug 29, 2006
    You might want to clear the cache etc of the browser, and then turn the wifi off, then on - it might pick it up and go to the right page - have you already signed up?
    If not, then take it to an O2 store as they would have a cloud wifi you dcould use, and then could help you set it up. I know the problem, but i can't for the life of me remember exactly what it did to get it to work. (I got the redirect problem).
  4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

Nov 6, 2007
    Liverpool, UK
    I always click on the big mcdonalds logo on the page it asks a couple deatils (I guess for a survey of whos connectin) then I'm connected
  5. arkitect macrumors 603

Sep 5, 2005
    Bath, United Kingdom
    I have to say that the BT Openzones have all worked seamlessly for me… BUT The Cloud — while it is a nice idea — just doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Last year when I got my iPhone I managed to get connected after some help from TheCloud people… but lately it has been pretty dire.

I don't know if the Hotspots just aren't maintained, but they seem to be out of order or unavailable more often than not.

Edit: I have never been succesful in any pub Hotspot… I think they just don't work. Period. :D