WiFi to Ethernet Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bwilliams18, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bwilliams18 macrumors newbie

My iPhone won't connect to my Airport Extreme, I can't figure out why, and I don't really care, as I have a WiFi Printer that is really complex to set up.
    I'm wondering if I can use my Mac Pro to get WiFi from my network, then share the internet, and act as a bridge to an ethernet connected Airport Express that would be setup as another network for the iPhone and Printer to connect to.
    Does this make sense.
    Can anyone help me with this issue? Is there a more sensible way to go about this?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Go into System Preferences, and under the Internet & Wireless section select Sharing. Then select Internet Sharing (do not enable just yet) and make sure that it says "Share your connection from: AirPort" and "To computers using: Ethernet" for the two options. Now enable Internet Sharing.

Connect your AEX to your Mac Pro and run AirPort Utility. Configure your AEX as a bridge by setting "Connection Sharing" to "Off (Bridge Mode)" in the Internet tab. I'm not entirely sure this second part will work as I haven't tried it myself, but this should allow everything to operate on the same subnet, letting you access all devices on your network.

If somebody knows otherwise or can elaborate more, please do.