WiFi Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jakesaunders27, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,
    I have a 2007 Mac Pro and have released that it it does not support 5GHz WiFi, is there any upgrade you can do to the Mac Pro like a new AirPort system to make the Mac Pro see 5GHz networks?

Thanks

Jake

2. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

That is odd because mine works fine on 5ghz :confused: using Apples internal airport card

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

hmmm, might have another look then maybe its simply out of range but the 5GHz and normal are coming from same router. Is yours a 2007 as well?

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

5GHz is not all that great. It has a substantially shorter range than 2.5GHz and will not penetrate walls as well. Due to these reasons, it is entirely possible you could be getting a 2.5GHz signal and not 5GHz from the same router.

5GHz's main advantage is when you are in a crowded area where most everyone is using 2.5GHz you can be free of that interference up in the 5GHz range. Theoretically if you are in range you can also get higher throughput than 2.5GHz, but I personally haven't seen a noticeable improvement even when 6 feet away from the router with clear line of sight.

5. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

yeah i know have put the mac pro on the 5ghz but it is not always in range. Thanks guys