WiFi Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by A.Goldberg, Nov 21, 2016.

1. A.Goldberg, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

So the holidays are coming up and I need to get a gift for my parents. I'm out of the house but the past few times I've been home I've noticed how horrendously slow their internet is.

They built their house in 2000/1 and they're currently running on very old technology- two Linksys WRT54's (2.4ghz b/g) in bridge mode- one in the basement, one in my father's home office. They report barely being able to get WiFi in their master bedroom. My Bedroom gets very poor service, which I don't remember being the case years ago. The house is fairly large- +/- 5000sq ft of living space.

The house thankfully has wired Ethernet galore, I believe Cat5e, all connected to a 24-port switch and wired router. ISP service is fine (over 150mbps/+?) but not well utilized by the infrastructure (non-Gigabit Ethernet router, switch). High tech in its day (probably overkill) not so much anymore.

The 10/100 Ethernet BS will have to be at least partially replaced or circumvented. Wired isn't a huge deal considering most of their devices are wireless ~(2 ThinkPads, 2 iPhones, 1 BlackBerry :eek:, 1 PC, 2 iPads, 1 Roku, 1 windows file server). I'm more concerned about the wireless.

I could either go with a couple routers to replace, or do an accesspoint setup like I did at my company (UniFi Products are great, POE is awesome). Downside of UniFi is installing in the ceilings and for full benefits you have to upgrade everything across the board (starts to get $$$). I see Google has a new MESH network product out, Eero has a lot of press.

Any suggestions on products to look into?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Who is the their network provider? Do they offer anything hardware related in terms of what would be appropriate for their needs? I know that's what you are seeking, but sometimes this can help with assistance.

3. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

You mean ISP? I believe Cablevision aka now Optimum. They live in the Fairfield County area of CT. As far as I know their service stops with the cable modem. Typically ISP's don't involve themselves with home networking (beyond maybe a modem/router combo) and none of them will give you a router capable of a 5000sq ft+ house, if such a thing even exists or such a system.

After all, you could have a router with a wifi signal range of 1 mile, but the iPad at the other end is useless unless it can transmit 1 mile back.