WiFi Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macDonalds, Mar 13, 2008.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Before bed I usually turn off my wifi. Thinking about it now though, I wonder if it's a waste of time? Everytime I come back from standby the iPhone has to search for a wifi connection.

So can I just leave wifi on during standby or will it consume more power?

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I am pretty sure the WiFi automatically turns off when the phone is on standby.

3. wchong macrumors 6502

nope
    cuz i usually get the little vibration alert when i get an e-mail even in standby. i just carry a charger with me everywhere i go. there are computers everywhere

4. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

But don't you have a data plan? If so, wouldn't that be edge getting your mail, not wifi?

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Not if Wi-Fi is connected. Wi-Fi will be the first "grabber" not EDGE.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I don't think that is true. My wifes alarm clock is a radio as well and it isn't shielded. It makes the gsm noise when pulling email at home even though she had been connected to WiFi. I also notice that when you hit the on/off (or home) button the little E shows up. In my experience awaking my phone from sleep and going to check the weather it takes a second for the phone to realize there is a WiFi signal then it uses it.

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I leave my WiFi on 24 hours a day 7 days a week and it has not casued a drain on my battery. The only major drain that has caught me unprepared is if a really large email or one with attachments gets stuck during download and it will continue trying to download even in sleep. This will drain your battery overnight. It has only happened to me 3 times since June 29th when I purchased the phone. I also leave my bluetooth on 24 hours a day. I recharge the phone every other night while I sleep and have never run out of juice.