Wifi vs. 3G for battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BiggAW, Oct 17, 2011.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Should I turn wifi off when I don't need it, or should I just leave it on? I'm wondering which is easier on the battery? I'm guessing 3G, since it has to stay connected for voice/text anyways? I'm a college student, so the phone has Wifi almost all the time.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Turn 3G off and use Wifi instead, it will probably be easier on the battery.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would leave your wifi on. What ever power it drains on standby is going to make it up in the savings for when your cell antenna has to power up to get things like your email, update twitter, weather ect.

That and turning on and off wifi on iOS is a pain in the rear so double not worth it. Chances are a good amount of your power savings would be eaten up by the extra time the screen has to be lit to turn on and off the wifi.

4. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

There is no option for EDGE only on the 4S.

----------

I don't find it in the least bit hard. It's in Settings under Wifi. The miracle is that iOS can actually connect to my school's RADIUS server. Android and regular computers are spotty, over the past few years (ipt3G and now iPhone 4S), iOS has been nearly flawless.

5. Millionin20s macrumors regular

It depends on how strong your connection is to the wifi source. If you consistently grab a strong signal on wifi, stay connected to it. It's easier on the battery, since the phone isn't searching for signal nearly as much. Otherwise stay on 3G and use wifi as needed.

6. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

But I pretty much always get at least 2-3 bars of 3G as well, and there is no EDGE option, so no matter what, the 3G will be turned on as well, it just wouldn't be used for data.

7. zephxiii macrumors 6502

I steam a lot of internet music and streaming over wifi is definitely better on the battery.