Wifi VS 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stieny, Sep 26, 2008.

1. stieny macrumors member

I am new to the whole Mac world but have been a fan for some time. I just got an iPhone 3G and it has been great.

I did have one question though. I searched this forum and many others looking for answers but could not find one specific enough to answer my question.

The question is very basic and I'll probably look stupid but here it is:

If I connect my iPhone via wifi to a hot spot (IE: in a mall) and that hot spot connects but requires you to accept the terms and conditions before using their internet service, will the phone not connect to the internet?

I had this happen to me recently and I wasn't sure if the phone could or should jump to 3G in that circumstance or if it will only jump to 3G when wifi signal is lost. I was technically connected to the internet but had not accepted the terms and conditions yet and I didn't realize it. When I tried to access youtube it just said "youtube could not be reached" and I got the same pop up when I tried to open the app store.

2. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

That means you are still on wifi but they are blocking you from accessing data, as long as the wifi indicator is on you are technically still of wifi even if you do not recieve data

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You have to Forget Network in that situation in order to revert to 3G

4. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. This site seems to be very helpful.

I did have two other questions about my iPhone that I couldn't find through a search.

One, I noticed when I was searching another forum that when I was loading a page with pics someone had posted in a thread, that no matter how many times I refreshed the page that a few of pics would come up with the blue "?" box and usually it would be only like 2 or three each time. They were posted by the same person and hosted the same way. I could pull all the pics up on my laptop at home. I was just wondering if it was a problem with the phone or just with the hosting and or forum site?

Two, has anyone every noticed that they will be browsing the net and the phone will randomly back out of safari. When you re-open it, you are taken back to what you were doing in the net. Its happened a few times to me and usually the phone will slow down a bit right before it happens.

Anyone able to tell me if these things are in the relm of normal?

Thanks again.

5. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Well, I searched a little more and found others have seen the same thing with safari.

Im still wondering about the images not being displayed and getting the blue box with the "?" in it though. It's weird, it seems like it's only on that one page of pics but when I refresh it's not always the same pic that shows that "?".

6. Fezzasus macrumors regular

The blue boxes appear where there should be a flash advertisement, as the iPhone doesn't support flash you get the box instead.

When Safari crashes it returns to the main screen.

7. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I know that sometimes advertisements won't show up. But in this particular case these are just a run of about 15 pictures all hosted the same way and posted in the thread. The last 2 or 3 in the set of pics won't show up. When I refresh the page on the iPhone, the one pic that showed the "?" before would show up and another one would then show the "?".

But when I view these on my home computer they all show up. Just wondering why it does this on what seems to be normal pictures and why it is so random.