Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
When I use my iPhone I noticed that while the Wifi is on there is latency and and many apps will fail to load stuff over the internet(search results, youtube videos, twitter refreshing)-happens randomly.

At first I thought that iOS or its apps are buggy but then I discovered that if I switch to LTE(Wifi off) its fast with no failures or crashes.

Is this a problem with my iphone or is this just the nature of the Wifi technology? I would like to think so but I have no issues using the same Wifi network on my computer and nothing ever fails to load.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
When I use my iPhone I noticed that while the Wifi is on there is latency and and many apps will fail to load stuff over the internet(search results, youtube videos, twitter refreshing)-happens randomly.

At first I thought that iOS or its apps are buggy but then I discovered that if I switch to LTE(Wifi off) its fast with no failures or crashes.

Is this a problem with my iphone or is this just the nature of the Wifi technology? I would like to think so but I have no issues using the same Wifi network on my computer and nothing ever fails to load.
I would go to a Starbucks and try their Wi-Fi for a while. That way you know whether or not it's a network problem or a device issue.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Actually, I've noticed this too, even on my home WiFi with 120mbps and when I'm the only one using it. This started happening about 3 months ago. Occasionally on WiFi at a seemingly random time, my iPhone won't load any data, or it'll take an extremely long time to load it. Search results, weather updates, e-mail fetches, etc. all hang, and this goes on for 5-10 minutes before returning to normal. Switching to LTE instantly fixes it.

I'm assuming it has to do with my WiFi since this issue only started happening a few months ago, but it's annoying nonetheless and my iPhone 6 seems to be the only device that has this issue.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Actually, I've noticed this too, even on my home WiFi with 120mbps and when I'm the only one using it. This started happening about 3 months ago. Occasionally on WiFi at a seemingly random time, my iPhone won't load any data, or it'll take an extremely long time to load it. Search results, weather updates, e-mail fetches, etc. all hang, and this goes on for 5-10 minutes before returning to normal. Switching to LTE instantly fixes it.

I'm assuming it has to do with my WiFi since this issue only started happening a few months ago, but it's annoying nonetheless and my iPhone 6 seems to be the only device that has this issue.

This happened to me also (on my home Wifi). It started getting worse and worse, occasionally cutting out completely. I had the cable company out checking connections, etc. It was very frustrating. To make a long story short, my router had a pending firmware update. Once I updated it, all was well. Lesson learned. No one thought to check that during all the troubleshooting. Needless to say, I am going to check for updates every so often from this point on.

Reactions: I7guy

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008

Yes this is the problem I am talking about, but the reason that I believe its NOT my Wifi network is that my computer works just fine.

I have the Netgear R7000 which has like 3k positive reviews on Amazon with the latest firmware. I doubt its a bad router

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Yes this is the problem I am talking about, but the reason that I believe its NOT my Wifi network is that my computer works just fine.

I have the Netgear R7000 which has like 3k positive reviews on Amazon with the latest firmware. I doubt its a bad router
By your logic then the iPhone 6 would always work perfectly and nobody would have any software or hardware problems with them since it has 1,238 positive reviews on amazon.
Technology isn't perfect. The problem also may lie in your internet itself, not just the router.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Two things I'd try (if you haven't already):

- Remove the WiFi network from your phone, change passwords on the WiFi, and reconnect.
- When in doubt, reboot the router.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Trust me, routers go bad. I've gone through 7 routers in the last 12+ years. The majority of the ones that have gone bad are Netgear or Linksys. I've only had one Apple router die on me in 6 years, and it was 6 years old.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My linksys router has been acting real funny lately.
I had it for years but for a few weeks now it just drops all connections randomly and all lights in it start to flash.
Once I unplug it and turn it back on it works and a few days and then it does it again.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Trust me, routers go bad. I've gone through 7 routers in the last 12+ years. The majority of the ones that have gone bad are Netgear or Linksys. I've only had one Apple router die on me in 6 years, and it was 6 years old.

I never found routers performance change over time. The routers are expensive ($250) . I believe they were built to last, but maybe you had them always performing to maximum capacity? I had a Linksys that worked for 6 years no issues.

I tried very hard to search for the best routers but everyone has a different opinion. Some say netgear, others linksys, and some will tell you D-link or even Belkin.
[doublepost=1455201209][/doublepost]
My linksys router has been acting real funny lately.
I had it for years but for a few weeks now it just drops all connections randomly and all lights in it start to flash.
Once I unplug it and turn it back on it works and a few days and then it does it again.
try to update the firmware. My last linksys router served me well. Not sure if quality differs with every different model

Reactions: Applejuiced

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I sometimes have to "kill" safari because it will not load. I know it is not my internet, 1gbps.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I sometimes have to "kill" safari because it will not load. I know it is not my internet, 1gbps.
1GBPS internet is only part of the equation. That is the promised bandwidth from your provider to your endpoint (modem etc.)

Your phone's performance will be subject to
a) Latency.
b) Wifi Interference
c) weak signal
d) a case or other problem
e) software issue on your router (QOS settings, thottling, bad config)
f) software issue on your phone
e) some physical problem with the phone like a wifi antenna connection coming lose...

I'd suggest doing some speed tests on another device from the same location. Pay close attention to the latency. Once you've done that, try "reset network settings" on your phone.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008

Hey if you know about this stuff, do you think I should keep WMM ON or OFF on my Netgear? I turned QOS off as it was recommended by researching on the internet.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
1GBPS internet is only part of the equation. That is the promised bandwidth from your provider to your endpoint (modem etc.)

a) Latency.
b) Wifi Interference
c) weak signal
d) a case or other problem
f) software issue on your phone
e) some physical problem with the phone like a wifi antenna connection coming lose...

I'd suggest doing some speed tests on another device from the same location. Pay close attention to the latency. Once you've done that, try "reset network settings" on your phone.

Latency is usually around 2 and the wifi speeds hover around 250mbps. Those are the first things I check when I have a problem.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I have an old router in the junk box that still works fine if you have devices that run on 802.11B and you are happy with that.

Every now and then my ISP switches DNS servers and it fouls up everything in the house until I power cycle the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.