Wifi vs. Wifi + 3G - Which do/did you get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wineandcarbs, Apr 4, 2011.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Just curious which model you have gone/are going for and why.

2. navt macrumors newbie

Because you will always regret it

Wi-fi+3G. I know there is a £100 difference, but it's great knowing you can use it just about anywhere.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

32-Black-AT&T. Ultimate portability. Considered tethering, but the 3G has the functional GPS, too. :)

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I got the WiFi, since pretty much anywhere I'll be using it has WiFi. In addition, I have the tethering plan for the iPhone so if I can't get WiFi I can use that as a last resort.

5. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

+1 never know when I'll be stranded in the woods and it helps to have the ability IF you need it....

64 white verizon

6. rockem sockem macrumors newbie

What navt said..

Also I got the ATT one because I'm already a customer and is faster typically than Verizon. Of course that depends on where live and probably a host of other variables.

7. Antfer macrumors member

Go n against da grain here. Wifi
    Can jus turn on da hotspot on da iPhone 4.
    No need 2 make At&t richer.

8. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Wifi only. I just couldn't justify the $129 extra for a 3g model. That's just a rip off, 3G chips don't cost anywhere near that much. The 3G Kindle is only $50 more and includes free 3G access (granted the web sucks on it, but still).

Combine that with the fact that I'm around wifi the majority of the time as I have it home and office, and get it at the hotel when traveling, and it just wasn't worth it to me personally.

If it was like $50 more I may have got it for the convenience of having it if I did need (i.e. if buying a month was cheaper than paying for the wifi at a hotel etc.). But for $129 more I just couldn't justify it given how seldom I'd even consider buying 3g access.

9. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

32GB White Wifi. Didn't need the 3G since I'm usually in a Wifi area. If I'm not I'll just use the hotspot from my iPhone.

10. bass93 macrumors regular

Just picked up a 32GB 3G first gen on Craigslist for $350 in immaculate condition, with box, cord, wall adapter, Belkin case, and Invisible Shield. One heck of a deal if you ask me. I'm lovin it!

11. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

If you do any international travel, the GSM (AT&T) model is fantastic. Since the device is not SIM-locked, you can buy an inexpensive pre-paid SIM in most countries and just pop it in and go. It's *much* cheaper than roaming data.

Also, if you're willing to do the jail-break, your iPad can become a very effective WiFi hotspot for your other devices. The great iPad battery life is a real plus for this.