Wifi Welcome Message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jsbarone, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jsbarone macrumors regular

I leave my Wifi connection unsecured so that my neighbors can occasionally hop on from time to time. Lately I've been getting some bandwidth hogs, so I'm looking into tightening it down a little bit. I have DD-WRT on the router---what can you guys recommend for management? I'd like a little disclaimer message to pop up that asks them to be respectful. I'd also like the ability to limit bandwidth if I need to.

Thanks,

J

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

MAC filtering. Then just ask your neighbors to give you their MAC address and they can have free access. Or just block the normal P2P ports. Or require a password that anyone who knows you will know.

TEG

3. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, but that's not what I'm looking for. Reread my post...

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I understand what you want, I'm telling you what would be easy and not require a lot of rejiggering.

TEG

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Well, you could run something like Zone: CD, which is basically wifi hotspot software package that runs on a small PC (or old PC, etc.), but you may be in violation of the ISP's TOS by doing so...

6. kolax macrumors G3

Pretty stupid idea if you ask me. Anyone could go on to your internet connection, do something illegal and it'll fire back to your IP address. You are the contract holder.

If your neighbours want internet, they should get it themselves. You probably will, as said above, violate your ISP contract by doing that too.

7. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

What so wrong with adding a little security to your router?

8. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Yeah, why not just set up MAC filtering, and only let in people who won't be bandwidth hogs? That would be the easiest way to go about it without having to sit and work at it constantly.

9. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know my neighbors, don't really want to, and I hop on and off of my router with different devices frequently. This is why I don't feel like adding security. It has an added benefit of providing free wireless access to people who respect it. If they don't, I'll lock it down.

I don't think I can get in trouble for leaving my AP open, that would be ridiculous. Starbucks, hotels, etc would get sued all the time if that were the case.

10. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

"No District Attorney, I didn't do it! I swear!" :p

Add some security! ;)

11. kolax macrumors G3

You don't even know your neighbours yet you let them access your WiFi?!

Crazy.

12. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Actually it is against most ISP's TOS to run a wireless access point under a residential account. Usually places like startbucks use commercial Access Points, and other places actually pay for the business class internet.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Another vote for the security option, it's not exactly difficult to add in the wifi password on your other devices...

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In all likelihood, you're violating your ISP's TOS by knowingly sharing your internet connection with your neighbors.

16. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Another vote for security and here is why

What if one of your "neighbors" accesses a rather inappropriate webpage? And it gets traced back to you? How can you prove that you weren't the person that visited the site? - hence the security.

just my 2 cents

17. wchua24 macrumors newbie

you can lower down the connection power. so that i wouldn't reach to far to your neighbors .

18. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Lock it down. They can buy their own damn internet access.

19. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

It's true what they say– Nice guys finish last.